Thursday 5 November 2015

Not everyone likes fruit

I bought some really cheap but nice apples and satsumas, a bag of each, this evening. On the way from the shop I saw a young looking man sitting ob the corner. He was begging. I stopped, took out a beautiful large apple and offered the fruit to the man. He was delighted and remarked: 'Yeah! Fruit are good for you!'. We had a quick chat. He said he was glad as he had a thick blanket to sit on. It was raining, you see... I asked him why he was there, in the cold street and he said he had a bad back and a broken leg. I noticed crutches beside him. He couldn't work. When his mother died the council took away the flat. It was a three-bedroom one, too big for a single man. He left it and now has nowhere to go to...

Having crossed the street I saw another beggar and yet another one when I passed the station entrance. This time I reached for a satsuma and went back to offer it to the fellow. 'What is it? A lemon? I don't want a lemon, what do I need a lemon for?', was his reaction. I tried to explain it was not a lemon, but had to give up and walked away. I ate the satsuma on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment