Wednesday 4 May 2016

What I forgot to display at Acton Majowka on Polish Constitution Day!



Have you heard about Krystyn Lach Szyrma?
He  was a Polish philosopher and writer who visited England and Scotland in the 1820. Like many Poles, he took part in the November Uprising of 1831 and after it was crushed, had to go into exile and chose to start a new life in England. He had visited England and Scotland on earlier occasions as tutor to the son of an eminent aristocrat.


Krystyn Lach Szyrma was not the first one to observe the following:



The common people constitute the majority of every nation,
so all reforms should commence with the people.’



This man has been one of my favourite historical characters since I was given his book in the 1990s by one of the tourists from a group I took to England and Scotland. Krystyn Lach Szyrma travelled around these countries in the 1820s and later wrote a detailed and very readable account of his journeys. Later on I read relevant bits from this book to the next groups of tourists while travelling on the coaches from Poland. To save my voice and for the fun of it, I would often invite a tourist to the front of the bus to do the reading. It was fun! BTW, in the recent years the book was translated into English!

No comments:

Post a Comment