Sunday 10 July 2016

Approachable Ealing Mayor, Polish eagle and Poles at Acton Carnival 2016!



While everyone was getting ready to strut their stuff before the Acton Carnival hit the streets, I had the pleasure to engage in a chat with Councillor Dr Patricia Walker, Mayor of the London Borough of Ealing, and her Consort! I felt really welcome and it was a very nice feeling, much in contrast with the impression I got during quite a recent encounter with another local public figure; but we will not go there. We spoke for a good few minutes, even got a picture taken (which I shared almost straightaway, now getting more used to the social media) and touched on a lot of subjects. The other Polish friend who eagerly volunteered with me posed with us and we also got 'photobombed'. (I wish these were the only bombs in use... )

Of course, I learned about the origin of the Polish national emblem in the mayoral chain and realised that we both (Mayor and I, not eagle and I, mind you, Dear Reader) share a passion for culture, history and bringing mutual understanding among people of different backgrounds. She recommended a coming event at Ealing Central Library which celebrates Wira of Warsaw, a brave Polish woman now living in Ealing, a lady who I was aware of before. She was in the Warsaw Uprising of 1944. When it fell, Danuta (her real name) became a German POW and finally had to make her life here, in England, like so many Poles who with the after-war geopolitical changes had lost their home and everything else back in Poland. Her son, George Szalchetko, who also lives in Acton, has recently written a book about her remarkable life. If I go to the library event, I will make sure that everybody learns about the initiative to build a monument commemorating these brave Polish people who gave up everything to fight off the oppressors and then were cursed in their homeland during the post-war years. Santa knew I wanted the book and got it for me from the little cosy bookshop in Pitzhanger Lane. Then I went to a talk by Mr Szlachetko here at CARA, Acton and talked to him, his mother and even his wife. It'll be great to meet them again. Maybe we could invite Danuta Szalchetko's wartime friend, Mrs Marzena Szejbal if there is enough time...
 I just thought I'd tell you about it here.:-)

You can read about the Ealing Borough Mayor here.

No comments:

Post a Comment