Tuesday 20 October 2015

Kensal Green and around

In the run-up to November 1st which is All Saints Day, there are often cemeteries featured in my posts. I do not even plan it that way, it just happens. After all, mine is a whimsical life.;-)

Last Monday meant getting to Kensal Rise for me. Once the job was done I awarded myself with a bit of sighseeing.





Kensal Green is one of The Magificent Seven, the 19th century cemeteries built by the Victorians when the older London cemeteries had become too crowded and various diseases had been turning into epidemics. The cemeteries were designed on a big scale and so visiting them you need to allocate some time and make sure you wear comfortable walking shoes. Mind you, cycling is not an option, unless you manage to get away with it. Although, if you need to cycle for medical reasons, you are justified, I suppose...;-)

I approached the cemetery  having cycled along the canal tow path. I passed over a bridge, went past the closed  gate near The Dissenters Chapel and then took a left into the Harrow Road. There was a church opposite. I stopped to take a picture, but really, the church looked much better than the picture shows.
 A short distance along Harrow Road and I found myself in front of the main gate:



 These looked like very old graves:



In the distance you can see the colonnade above the sealed catacombs right in front of a large building.


















Anglican Chapel is in the middle of  the cemetery, surrounded by more colonnades and catacombs.












I managed to get to the gate the moment it was being locked for the night....

Back on Harrow Road I headed west to cross the canal at the other end of the cemetery. Instead, I crossed not only the canal, but a whole jungle of railroad tracks beneath me and found myself in an unknown territory. I kept peddling and finally arrived at White City, cycled past The BBC Centre and Westfield to arrive in Shepherds Bush and negotiate my way in the heavy afternoon traffic heading home.

On leaving the cemetery, I was attracted to this gallery window. Wouldn't you be?
 Although it said on the door that it was open, the truth was contrary...
 This is where I turned left towards the canal which I managed to miss... Just as well... I like taking different routes. Do you?

 Who are they? Independent Order of Mechanics, Preston Unity:
 Here live cats and dogs:
 This is the last picture before the phone battery said enough:


No comments:

Post a Comment