Wednesday 2 December 2015

ESOL students in The City

It was a great day. Together with a befriended ESOL teacher (a native speaker of English and a Londoner as well) and some ESOL students, we went to visit The Museum of London.





 Ladies from Yemen, Pakinstan, Iran and Poland were in our group.

 Believe me, I was really happy to take them on this trip. We walked and talked from one exhibition to the next chatting, commenting and stopping when something attracted our attention for longer.  Afterwards I stayed in the City looking at the new and for the old outnumbered and dwarfed by the arrivals.
I kept my camera busy and had to charge it more than once. (I do need a new smartphone!) So many sights to capture...
The Guildhall Gallery attracted me again. I've been there a good few times already. This time I went to see 'No Colour Bar' exhibition on an international struggle against racisism featuring a Guyanese-born Jessica and Eric Huntley and their bookshop recreated by Michael McMillan. The Huntleys came to England in the 1950s and were involved in activism and campaigning on an international level, supported The Caribbean Artistic Movement and emerging Black British art practices. To my great surprise, I found out that they were based in... Ealing and there, in their flat, they opened their bookshop  having founded Bogle-L'Ouverture Publications that published lots of various materials from posters and greeting cards to texts by writers of African roots.
 A carol concert at St Lawrence Jewry next to the Guildhall Gallery was a pleasant way to spend the evening, especially that there was wine, stollen and mince pies served afterwards. Moreover, the priest gave a short and very entertaining sermon wearing a... sweatband!
London is great!


















No comments:

Post a Comment