Friday 8 May 2015

Twyford Abbey Ghost


Twyford Abbey grounds - ruins and local wildlife's oasis 

Cycling along Twyford Abbey Road yesterday I saw an Indian looking lady walking slowly with a young man, her son, as it later turned out. Later on I was walking with my bike on the pavement. and needed to overtake them. I wanted to  find a suitable place from which to photograph the ruins of a once splendid building known as Twyford Abbey. (You may remember that I had already taken pictures of this place last year.)

Many ancient trees surround Twyford Abbey


Anyway, somehow, we started talking and the woman told me that the abbey was haunted, and that she had visited it some years ago. Somebody had organised it for her and her friend. She thought the building was spectacular and agreed with me that it shouldn't be left to the elements. 

Twyford Abbey from St Mary's graveyard


However, I wanted to learn more about the ghost she had mentioned earlier. It took some persuasion to make her speak about it. Well... It is a big dog which can be seen in and around the building playing with a small ball. Apparently, it used to belong to the monks and when it died, they buried it in the garden. The dog loved that ball and played with it a lot. When somebody threw it to him from the upper floor, the dog would bounce it with its nose, I heard. 


I was also told that the canine ghost has always scared people away and that maybe this is why the building has remained empty for years. However, the woman said that there may be some bad karma there, maybe to do with the times when the building was used as a nursing home... Who knows...

Then we had to part as I needed to rush back and the two of them were heading towards the polling station.
....

It is November 2022 now and the whole Twyford Abbey estate is about to change forever.. Sad times...

Twyford Abbey grounds from Twyford Abbey Road


Please, look what I read in a community message: 'Here's a link to a short film on the Twyford Abbey planning application made by a talented filmmaker, Dom Di Lillo.' Please watch it and if you agree with the local young people's plea, try to help in any way you can, even posting and talking about it. Will you?




1 comment:

  1. I've come across someone's memories of Twyford Abbey:

    'Keith Knight
    Sep 6, 2010
    My Grandparents lived in the Gate House at Twyford Abbey from about 1910 onwards and my grandfather played the organ in the chapel on Sundays. He was a watchmaker working in Notting Hill. I remember the cottage rather dimly as I last saw it in 1939 with my mother - we used to visit my grandparents quite often from Wembley. The whole congregation was evacuated to Llys Dulas in Anglesey at the outbreak of war and my grandfather died there in November 1940 which, of course, ended our direct links with the Abbey. Some of the persons who died whilst evacuated are buried in Amlwch Cemetary.' (http://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do/twyford-abbey)

    ReplyDelete