Tuesday 16 February 2016

Library for Iranian Studies in Acton

'When you come to my house, bring me a light and a small window. From this window I could see the lucky people in the street.' - I could not read the original words of the famous poem by Forough Farokhzad at The Library for Iranian Studies in Acton. The Iranian man who works there translated them for me. The Persian poetess died in a car crash in 1967. She was only 34 years old... Her face looks at the library bookcases along with faces of other eminent Persian poets sculpted by their compatriot artist who took a year to make them for the library.


As you enter the place, you first notice a noble head of a bearded man in an old-style headgear.
The head in question is of Abdual Quasem Ferdawsi, the greatest Persian epic poet of all time, and author of 'Shahnameh', a poem of the myths, legends and history of ancient Iran. He lived between 935 and 1020/25 AD, at the times when Poland, my home country, was coming into existence adopting Christianity from those who had already joined  the Christian world.

Here are a few more pictures from the Persian Library in London! You can go there too!

 There was a man at the library who kindly answered many of my questions, also about this detailed poster which shows the Persian image of Paradise. He even wanted to find a copy of this poster for me to take, but he couldn't. I wish I had the time to tell you more about my visit...





No comments:

Post a Comment