Saturday 6 April 2013

Cheddar cheese and fuss-free hair!


I've just heard from a friend who spent Easter  in Bath and also visited Cheddar. When I learnt she didn't go to the famous cheese making place, because she'd been told the famous cheese wasn't made there any longer, I did my little online research and found this: http://www.cheddargorgecheeseco.co.uk/acatalog/about-cheddar-gorge.html , pleased to see them still on the market. The website reminded me of one particular tour I guided when we visited a cheddar making place in the village. (Whether it was the same spot or there used to be more attractions of the kind, I'm not in a position to tell you here and now.) 

The man who showed us around was in his element joking all the time. His cheerfulness was contagious which was most welcome under the circumstances. Imagine a party of  some thirty or forty randomly gathered  adults touring Albion by coach, after an overnight journey across the continent and a few nights at different tourist class hotels, following packed up to the brim itinerary and you will get an idea... 
Anyway, as he was most humorously explaining the intricacies of the cheese making process, I kept interpreting simultaneously, making sure the funny side was highlighted and not lost in translation. At the end of the tour, when we were admiring and sampling the final products, our guide, naturally lacking a single hair on his skull, stroked his head gently and smiling gave us a stern promise: 'And if you regularly eat a lot of cheddar cheese...' - here he paused for a moment - '... you will have such lush and beautiful hair as mine!'.


2 comments:

  1. And after reading about all that good cheddar cheese . . . I discover that I have no cheese in my house this evening !
    m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an inconvenience! Did you do anything about it last night? You know, I may have a totally different problem. A bit of cheese in my fridge may have been waiting too long for my attention. Well, if it was the original proper cheddar... :-)

      Delete