Tuesday 30 April 2013

HERMES expands in Skarżysko!

Going back home last night I saw extensive works at the extension of the shopping centre called 'Hermes'. No wonder, everywhere in Skarzysko the opening of popular clothes chain H&M has been heralded to commence today, on the last day of April. Some four decades ago, in mid-seventies I think, the original Hermes was open, the first department store in this town. Crowds were storming the shops on the day. After queuing for hours, lucky ones were going out with purchases not available elsewhere daily, if at all.

The building itself occupied, and still does, an empty plot of land on the corner, facing a block of flats with some shops downstairs, one of the complex  from the 1950s. I remember a neon depicting the mythological patron of commerce atop the edifice. It caught the eye and added colour to the surrounding greyishness of the town.

My earliest memories of this piece of land are not that clear, but I think I can recall the sight of some shrubs and bushes, maybe trees and surely, untamed grass, when I looked out of the hairdresser's window waiting for my mother. There were small, mostly wooden private houses with gardens surrounding the little 'wilderness'. If you didn't have your own garden, you'd buy flowers to decorate the flat, straight from the flowerbed. An elderly lady would pick for you the ones you chose. Lilies of the valley were the pride of a dark wooden house front garden facing a little cobbled street behind 'the wilderness'. (Most of Skarzysko streets used to be cobbled then).

Now nothing is left of these charming dwellings. They are replaced by high rise blocks of flats, parking places and more shops. The extension of Hermes is built in the place of the three remaining houses. The oldest, wooden one housed some sort of private business. It bordered with a villa surrounded by wall topped with pieces of broken glass for protection. I always thought it was cruel on birds... Further on, there was a bigger red brick detached house, one of my students lived there, a very nice and clever girl. I wonder where she is now...
......

It was after 9 p.m. when I heard terrible bangs. Was it the beginning of WW3??? No, fortunately not! Only fireworks to celebrate the opening of H&M!

Well, my own day was not without a bang, either. I banged my head badly against an old wooden clock that hangs above the sofa which I moved in order to sweep behind it. Frozen veggies had to be applied on my temple, the very same packet I use for the knee. I'm getting a good use of it, that's for sure!;-)

Good night!


No comments:

Post a Comment