Thursday 11 April 2013

Looking for spring

When I was a schoolkid, at this time of the year and spring was on the doorstep, our teacher would take us all on a walk up the street leading to the nearest forest. We would look for the first spring flowers, catkins and pussy willows and so on. I couldn't imagine that my present little dwelling would overlook that very street. The street bears a different name reflecting political changes. I do agree that The Polish Home Army deserves commemoration, especially after so many years of condemnation. However, I miss the old name: 'Zgodna'. If you look for the English translation, the dictionary will fetch a number of adjectives which shows the difficulties a translation poses. See for yourself:  http://www.translatica.pl/slowniki/po-angielsku/zgodny/ or, if you are in a hurry, you can read on:
 Fascinating, isn't it? :-)

Now, a few pictures from yesterday walk up the above mentioned street:

Looking down Armii Krajowej Street







Two days later, on Saturday I walked the other way. Here are pictures:

I do hope the little wooden house on the left will be preserved. After all Skarzysko doesn't have that many old buildings and this one was not just an ordinary dwelling. In the 1960/70s one could eat homemade dinners here at a family run restaurant. Men would meet there to play cards, many of them smoking like chimneys. Also, when artists came to perform at a local cultural centre, they would dine here. I remember in a nearby street lived an old lady who had a beautiful painting by Leon Wyczolkowski. A little girl, accompanying my mother on a Sunday afternoon visit, I loved looking at it. I think it showed a fisherman in the sunset light... 


Alert to any signs of spring,  I spotted one crocus outside the florist shop:

:-)

2 comments:

  1. 08.15 in the morning and sitting outside in the sun . . . but not a single forest for thousands of kilometres !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, they say you can't have it all... But why not? At least where I am, there are days of sunshine, but I guess you can't plant pines, firs, birches and oaks there...
    Enjoy the sun!:-)

    ReplyDelete