Saturday 19 July 2014

On weather, students and beautiful scenery...


Steaming hot this Saturday and swallows flying low... I remember some text from my lessons long ago about predicting the weather through observing wildlife. Swallows flying low mean the rain will be coming soon. Apparently, the insects the birds feed  on fly nearer to the ground because the humidity makes their wings heavier. Apparently, spiders will unmake their cobwebs so the heavy rain doesn't destroy them. And then, there was another text from my teaching years ago: "All I really learnt, I learnt in kindergarten'. That was a good one too. I may still have a copy somewhere back home.

I wonder where are all these students are who I have met throughout the years. Will they smile to me when we run into each other?

Yesterday, I was approached by two EFL students I happened to teach for a fortnight earlier this month. My heart melted when they told me that they liked me very much and would like to invite me to a meal. I couldn't make it, but I am sure we will try to meet up. I'm looking forward to that.

Today, I had a scenic bike ride in the afternoon. There was no rain, luckily. How could I resist taking and posting these pictures taken at Gunnersbury Park, one of my favourite London parks?

First, I took pictures of the house awaiting redecoration funded by lottery money:















 

And then I looked at the sky and I saw a UFO hovering above  Princess Amelia's Bath House::

 I managed to take a close-up. What a remarkable sight!

The park looked undisturbed...




 
I biked through the park, stopping by the Orangery, the mock ruins with a community garden and the Potomac Lake:
 
















































2 comments:

  1. You have the teaching gift and easily you can earn a special place in your student's heart. You're adorable and I strongly believe that there are a lot smiles and hugs for you out there.
    Roula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roula. I'm really flattered. It's lovely to receive things like that. It's a pleasure to meet students like you who like to learn and enjoy learning. :-)

      Delete