Wednesday 1 October 2014

Poles everywhere. Soup and cake. Photos in London

My mentioning The Burning Man Festival prompted my overseas sibling to write this:
'I appreciate photos from Skarzysko-I guess in a way I do miss it...
As to the Burning Man-I have a connection.
Woman that is working in our office, Dana has a son, Artur.He is a sound technician for show Stomp, now doing independent gigs.He lives in Las Vegas and was in charge of sound on Burning Man:)
Dana used to work closely with me few years ago.
She is from Stalowa Wola, but lived in Cieszyn-so 2nd connection here with you.'
Cieszyn is where one of my best girl-friends from studies settled down. So many times we went on holiday there and our children played together. Karolina is a true 'globetrotteress', do check out her blog: Ethno-passion.
...
It rained really heavily last night and less so in the morning.

Luckily, it got dry later on and I managed to cycle to the dentist for my first of the two appointments in one day! It was raining when the dentist finished the repair of my tooth. I left the bicycle there as a friend (and former colleague in one) came to pick me up in a car. We drove to a new restaurant near the the shopping centre called Hermes which was once the first and only department store in our town. The Autorska is a pleasant place. The young man who took our orders was very friendly and cheerful.  I had today's lunch deal: dill pickle soup, spaghetti Bolognese and freshly cooked and still hot apple 'kompot' (a traditional Polish drink made of fresh seasonal fruit cooked with some sugar and cloves). My friend had a strong coffee and an apple pie. With three hungry man awaiting her at home, making a meal was the next big point on her agenda and she was going to eat the fruit of her own culinary labour when it was ready! Mind you, she was on the way from work...

The waiter/barman was delighted to hear that the pictures I was taking would make their way to a blog!

Now you can see what we saw and ate at The Autorska:




 My friend had to wait for her pie. The soup and drink arrived first:
 It was worth waiting!

 After a drink at a nearby cafe I got a lift back to the dentist to collect my vehicle and I photographed the trees on the other side of the street:

....
And here is an invitation to a photographic exhibition in London starting tomorrow which I will obviously miss:
....
Georgie Grainger wrote:

I would like to invite you to my photography Exhibition Alternatives, which is tomorrow 6-9 pm at the 02 Think Big Hub in Hoxton Square N16NT

Alternatives is a photography exhibition that focuses on the kind of creative thinking that turns the big life challenges of unemployment and housing into great ideas.
Experience the Alternatives created by some impressively innovative people, who've turned joblessness on its head and developed their very own forms of affordable homes.

As well as photography there will be a chance to find out information on volunteering within the arts sector in Lambeth from Potent Whisper part of Raw Materiall and William Longden director of Joy of Sound

So if you interested in checking out some photography and meeting new people head on down to the 02 think big hub there will also be punch on offer and don't forget to invite your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment