Wednesday 24 September 2014

Sunny!

Sending sun from Lodz to rainy London!
...
Today I saw my artistic friend's works: beautiful clothes she designs and makes.  I hope to show them to you when I can transfer  the pictures from my mobile phone.
 After a struggle, I think I can now show you Anna Damzyn's creations. Yes, I used these words on purpose. She produces  the textiles, the designs and makes them into these unique garments:

 




 This is Ania's 'laboratory' guarded by Marlon, an exceptionally elegant black cat with a discrete natural white fur bow tie:

I cannot fail to mention the other cat in Ania's flat. The ginger one also comes from an animal shelter and seems to be more open to any form of affectionate attention when it suits him:
Photo
 Ania studied Painting at The Academy of Fine Arts in Lodz, but decided to continue the traditions of her home town, for centuries renowned for its textile industry, now in decline. I'd love to tell you more about this remarkable woman, another fantastic friend of mine. Is there time for that though?....
Anyway, you can always go to her website and also see her recent collection next week in Lodz.

...
Ania agreed to meet me earlier in the afternoon in an unusual location. Inspired by my London photographer friend, I suggested exploring a 19th century resting place as it is conveniently located for both of us.

A walk through The Old Cemetery in Lodz resulted in many pictures as well. It was open in the 1850s when Lodz was a busy industrial city inhabited by Poles, Russians, Germans and Jews. Hence Lodz is referred to as the City of Four Cultures. We walked through all the three parts of this cemetery: Roman Catholic, Evangelical and Russian Orthodox.
Photo
(There is a separate Jewish necropolis in a different part of Lodz.) Lots of renovation work in progress could be seen.
PhotoPhoto
The elaborate chapels of the richest industrialists were covered in scaffolding. Owing to some repair works between the Catholic and Protestant sections, we were allowed to take a shortcut which spared us a long walk to the gate.

 
Taking advantage of favourable weather many people were tidying up the graves of their family members. All Saints' Day is approaching...



Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment