Thursday 10 October 2013

Ailments, Ealing party!

I must drag myself to the surgery. A GP called back today and told me to see a qualified nurse about my cough and throat, and aching ears, and headache. He asked me when the cold started. I told him, on Monday and that the doc I saw then about my blood test and knee physio told me to gargle with salt or aspirin.
Well...
...
More news from the health front:
I saw a very nice qualified nurse with great communication skills and after a visit to a pharmacy and food store, having just had my inhalations, I am about to start a course of antibiotic, refrain from speaking, rest plenty and eat well, but not too much, whereas drink plenty.
How do you force yourself to rest?????
Here is the slogan on the wall at the qualified nurse's office:


I was meant to see it! I need it on every wall in every room!!!!;-)
...
On the way home I didn't fail to take a few snaps. Here they are:








...
Heading home, I had to stop and have some fuel to get myself home. I couldn't help, but take a picture there:
Jamaican style chicken soup with a piece of wholemeal bread was what I gladly consumed there, at the new place opposite The Monsoon shop, can't remember the name. If I'm not mistaken, it replaced the Pound Shop. But I photoraphed the coffee signs, because I needed coffee this morning to energize myself before going to the surgery. Then, when my blood pressure was funnily high, we could assume it was due to the coffee intake.
...
Apparently, there is a street party in Mattock Lane, Ealing this Saturday, October 12th! Mattock Lane is the street alongside Walpole Park. The premises of the Questors Theatre are just there. It leads west from Ealing Green towards St John's Church in West Ealing. I wonder if they managed to recreate the cute little 'Biblical Garden' by the church wall. I walked past it many times in the past. When not in a hurry, I'd stop to read a relevant quotation from the bible beside a given plant. There was (maybe still is) a big palm that reminded me of my childhood home. My father gave my mum a little palm like that, in a pot, and it grew with me and my brother and moved flats with us. Every few years it needed a bigger pot. When we were kids, in the autumn, we once planted an acorn and a conker in the soil next to the palm and then, to our great joy and others' astonishment, we had our own baby oak and horse chestnut tree. They were joined by a lemon tree or two , can't remember....
...
Another bit of local news:
'An Ealing man has broken the record for visiting all 270 London tube stations in the shortest time.'
Congratulations to him! He does seem to be a successful and well organised a freelancer if he can fit these activities in his days!:-)
....
I've been going through the pockets of my everyday backpack, because I have kept some important notes scribbled hastily on busy days. Over a week ago, for instance, I paid a farewell visit to the artists' space called The Ark in Acton. It had to close down as you may have read  in my earlier post(s). The host, Yousif Naser, told me about his friend, a Pakistani architect working in London. Mr Ayyub Malik also works in ceramics, I gathered. He made the two vases that were still left in the closing down studio. Hence, I received them. They will remind me not only of my friend and a friend of his, but also of the Polish architect who turned to ceramics: Mr Leszek Dutka. I wrote about him and my visit to his studio in Krakow in one of my summer posts.
Like it or not, I'm adding a link to a book review by Ayyub Malik here. Having visited a few walled Arab cities, I've skim-read it with interest and would like to enjoy it when the time permits. Google has also told me that Mr Malik designed a university in Chicago, the city rather familiar to me.

The other person my painter- friend told me about that day, was a poet from Iraq, Mr Saadi Youssef, reportedly the greatest living Middle-Eastern poet.
...
Well, another little note reminded me of the day I was at the downstairs boutique of Octavia shop in Brompton Road during London Fashion Week last month. A young Malaysian man was trying on a few designer garments and he told me he was in the fashion industry himself, working for a renowned designer whose collection had already been shown a few days before. Bernard Chandran is the designer's name and his assistant's name I'll keep to myself.:-) I liked the bit of info about the designer's family and the way he raises his five children on Wikipedia. However, what it says there about his inspirations sounds intriguing. Next time in Knightsbrigde, I'll look out for his boutique, out for curiosity! :-)
...
That was a real puzzle:

frolla sfogliatella napoletana - I read on the next scrap of paper. I had no clue until Mr Google prompted me. Yes! It was a sweet pasty we had at Il Vero Gusto in Richmond. That day we were served by an Italian waiter. On the previous occasion, my coffee was nicely prepared by a chatty guy from Romania. He had learnt to make coffee in Italy, I remember him telling me. :-)
...
Have you heard of Phoenix Garden at the back of   St Giles Church? If not, there are at least two things worth knowing about this place: it's run by the local community and it's the old West End garden which has... frogs! At least that's what they claim. I suppose it may be true, how could a frog move from there to another park or garden in the city????
...
Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment