Thursday 24 October 2013

An art history feast at POSK!

The day turned out most interesting, but it was very hard to abandon the comfort of the bed.
Then the commute by two tubes, one bus and two legs made me already tired when I was to start work....

However, on getting off the bus, I noticed a new exhibition, temporary one, on the corner of Fulham Road. Two years of work painting circus scenes are presented in this first solo exhibition of a young British Artist.










If only these were genuine banknotes...

I took this picture thinking of a friend who had worked for this company for decades. It also made me think of the owner and how he must have felt when somebody accused him of something he hadn't done and it took a while before that person was proven wrong.

Former graveyards are made into little parks, like this one in Kings Road or the one in Putney...




If you look closely, you will see World's End Clock that goes backwards!

I met a friend for lunch in Chelsea. She is a garden designer and would love to work as one, but is doing something else for now, like so many people these days. I took pictures at this lovely garden shop when going back from work:










World's End Pub:

And then I got on the bus completely forgetting that I had been meaning to see the Black History Month exhibition just next to World's End Pub.  Bus 328 took me to Earls Court and then I hooped (or hobbled) on the District Line train to Hammersmith.


I walked down Kings Street only stopping at the Hammersmith TK Maxx. I met two fantastic students from Turkmenistan and we had fun trying on some winter jackets. They told me I was the first person they had met to know about their country. Amazing, isn't it? On learning about my country of origin they immediately concluded that I must know Russian! Yes, it was a compulsory subject when I went to school.

The most interesting part of the day was a meeting at The Polish Cultural Centre near Ravenscour Park Station. An Art History Professor, Mr Jan Wiktor Sienkiewicz, was talking about his new book which tells the story of the Polish artists from  General Wladyslaw Anders' army. I am so glad I attended this event. The professor spoke in a fascinating way and I learnt a lot.







On the way home with my newly acquainted friends, a couple of Polish architects based in London, I had a quick look at an exhibition of self-portraits by the members of Polish Artists Abroad group at POSK Gallery downstairs.
The self-portrait below had been made by the lady who was standing next to me, believe it or not!





I thought I'd have an opportunity to look at these works again. This is not going to happen, though. The exhibition ended yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment