Wednesday 3 December 2014

Bethlem and art

As you may know or not know, Dear Readers, I am a keen museum and gallery goer, and a type of person who is always curious to find out what is round the next corner. And you know what? There is a museum which I will not have a chance to visit. It's Bethlem, Museum of the Mind. The only day it is open to the public is this Saturday, December 6th. Then it closes to reopen in new premises sometime next year. Hence, I've looked at the museum collection online and you can also do it clicking here. The collection features numerous works by the patients of the most (in)famous mental asylum in the country. Many of them were talented artists: painters or sculptors. It's fascinating to enter the world their created locked away from society.
...
Pictures of today

A special bookshop in Bloomsbury has more than just books:
Photo

There is a copy of a famous painting. Who painted it? I don't know and nor do the people and the bookshop... Help welcome, Dear Readers:
Photo Photo

Next to the bookshop there is an art gallery. I really liked this sculpture:
Photo Photo

'Joy' was sculpted by Maureen Langley. It's a pity that the artist, who is in her eighties, won't get persuaded to make more works.

Then I looked at an ad in the music shop a few doors down. As I may be in the area, I will happily pop in to listen to some drumming!



No comments:

Post a Comment