Monday 2 December 2013

A boy in London. Forest in Poland. Xmas in Tooley Street.


Last night...

On leaving the station I was approached by a decent looking young lad in distress. He was very polite and apologetic, and asked me to buy him something to eat and give him money for a bus ticket. He went on explaining that he had to leave home as his alcoholic stepfather has become very violent. He has nowhere to live till Thursday when there will be a space in a hostel. He planned to spend the night at the airport or so. I gave him the food I had with me, not much as I know it's no good to give people money in the street. They are most likely to spend it on feeding their habit. However, on talking to the boy more (he was a very young adult, I gathered), I gave him a few coins I had in my purse. Not a lot. I was moved to hear he didn't want to let his mother know what was going on as she was away, working. He was sure she would come straightaway and that would cost her a job which would be disastrous. I also gave him a contact number to the local social worker, a friend of mine, encouraged him to seek help from Al-Anon groups and gave him directions to a nearby hostel I knew of. I hope he will find some help and won't have to sleep rough...
On the first December Monday I will add a few pictures of the Polish forest sent to me a week ago:





This is what I miss - walking in the forest among the tall trees...
...

Instead, I walked past the Shard along Tooley Street tonight.



Hays Galleria and its All-Year-Round Christmas Shop!


The Navigator occupies the central space on the way to The Thames:













No comments:

Post a Comment