Wednesday 12 February 2014

Life and culture here and there

Yesterday I had my late lunch served by yet another ex-student, a wonderful girl. She is working at a small bistro owned by people I used to know. I went to school with the wife, the husband was a keen cyclist, like my ex. Few young people do you encounter in this small town where jobs are scarce. The girl I met is also going away in a month or so. Those lucky enough to find a decent job can live a nice life here, like anywhere else. Others struggle. Going away is an option, not necessarily abroad, to a bigger place like Warsaw, Krakow, Poznan or Wroclaw. I also met a a young man who was considering taking up a shop assistant's job in a pretty historic town of Kalisz. It is much smaller that Warsaw, but bigger and livelier than Skarzysko. He has worked in Warsaw before and liked it there.
...
But what about this Wednesday? There wasn't enough time. I had to forgo the gym and give a miss to The Kwadrofonik concert in Radom.  However, I did a lot and met many interesting people.

Instead of the gym I visited a fantastic woman of a golden heart and a pair of healing hands, Mrs Halinka Makocka:



Unfortunately the weather was not at its best to photograph the view out of her window. But still, it will give you an idea of what Skarzysko-Kamienna district of Milica looks like from the 9th floor:



Leaving her little haven of tranquility I couldn't help but step into the studio of Mr Waclaw Makocki, a well known Skarzysko painter. He didn't mind being disturbed by a curious woman (or didn't show it) and agreed to be photographed at work for this blog! And I know where to see this picture when it's finished! :-)



A winter scene to somebody else's order, I suppose:

A finished work:  Holy Mother with Little Jesus reminded me of some icons I saw at a monastery in Syria. {I must have told you about that place and the two icons the guide showed me on learning I was from Poland. They were a gift from General Anders after his long nad necessary recuperation at the monastery.}


A view from Mr Waclaw Makocki's study - you can see the towers of The Holiest Heart of Jesus Church in the distance.

The next place I want to tell you about here is the one I have already mentioned many times. It is The Town Cultural Centre, MCK for short. Waiting to see the Manager I photographed some wooden sculptures in the hall:


At the entrance I run into a staff member of many years who does some sculpting as a hobby. I was sad to hear that he has some problem with his arm that prevents him from pursuing this activity.  Hopefully he will recover soon.


Look at the roof above the former patio:

Here is the skylight above the landing:
A modern lift:

The hall leading to the MCK 'headquarters':


It was amazing how fast the time went by at the MCK. It was dark when I was leaving after long and constructive discussion about my project of cultural cooperation between The MCK and various cultural bodies abroad.

The weather turned rather hostile, I won't hide it from you. An ordinary rain was joined by some wet snow and bitter cold wind. An umbrella came in handy! You can see its edge in the picture of the MCK front elevation:

More of my umbrella in this picture of the revamped Hermes, a department store from mid-1970s! You can see a fresh layer of snow:

And here is more snow on my window pane for good night!




No comments:

Post a Comment