Saturday 3 May 2014

Roz, my Saturday angel and feeding Ghana

Sunny here!

Off I went on the bike, pedaled here and there (so many errands to do) and even managed to get lost in the winded streets of Acton. I asked the way three times. The only man passing by couldn't help me. Then I asked a woman and we both tried to figure out how I could get from Shea road to Noel Road, but no luck, even her smartphone didn't help. I tried navigating myself one more time and got close to the Vale, which is a through road in opposite direction to the place I wanted. And then I approached a woman who just got into her car. She tried to explain the route for me, but it was far from straightforward and then, this angel lady invited me to follow her as she was actually going there! Can you believe that? Off we went, she in the car, I on my bike, doing my best to keep up with her. She did drive slowly and waited for me before the turn. Can you imagine that> Roz is my Guardian Angel's name, I am so grateful!
...
I paid a quick visit to Yousif's Naser painting class at North Acton Pavilion and had to dash back home to get ready for the evening gig in aid of Ghana.
That was awesome! Music, colours, people. Really great!


And here are a few more of my Saturday snaps:

South Ealing





South Ealing Cemetery and a few of many Polish graves:












Entrance Gate to Gunnersbury Park and some of the park features:





W3 Gallery in Acton on the last day of The Season of Mud exhibition:



North Acton Park

Art Pavilion and Cafe:

Paddington Station:



Paddington Canal seen from Harrow Road:

The venue of the night: Yaa Asantewaa Centre off Harrow Road:

The centre building:

One of the Notting Hill Carnival Masks. More will be created during a workshop next week under the expert guidance and instructions of Carl Gabriel  who has designed and made many carnival masks over the years!


 The event started with a DJ music and  an introductory talk:

 Then there were dancers:

 And then the Afro-Brazilian band of a complicated name I would need to look up... They were splendid!

 This man prepared the fashion show, inspired by African costumes!




After a break  (when you could buy some food and drinks) we were shown a film about the project of feeding the children in a Ghanaian village::

We watched the second part of the show from a different angle:

Then we found out that the man filming the event was in jeopardy, apparently attacked by a monster stemming from one of the carnival masks in the making!
 The band was really fantastic, many people, including the one on this side of the screen, rose from their seats and joined in the fun making all sorts of movement inspired by the music!
 When the concert was over, I persuaded my companion (it was easy-peasy) to explore the back stage(s) of the Yaa Centre.
We climbed the stairs and looked at the stage from above. It  felt like being at The Orange Tree Theatre in Richmond. You may already know that it is my former student and ever since good friend's favourite theatre and also that you can follow his blog as well.

Look, here they store the fashion show costumes!
 Drums... It's likely that you will find similar ones in Skarzysko-Kamienna, at the Town Cultural Centre, there is "Studium Instrumentow Etnicznych'. They do many interesting things and are open to join forces with similar groups! You can talk to me if you are interested in the topic.

Here I documented a piece of very old wood. It may have witnessed many events...

More drums in the dark room:
 Portraits:

We waited till the end to see if we won in the raffle, but we didn't. At least we did try.

Going back home I took a picture at Paddington Station. What I really wish is I had been able to film the mad run of a hoard of people when the platform number for our train turned up on the screen. It was unbelievable!

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment