Monday 3 March 2014

Immigrant snaps in The City


Ten minutes of Monday is left. I am back from an evening in The City of London. Why did I go there? To attend a debate on Immigration hosted by The Evening Standard at The Great Hall, Guildhall in Gresham Street. The hall was packed with audience. People asked many questions and would have asked more had there been more time. However, just as I expected, the really serious subjects were not even mentioned. Enough about that. I need to download the evidence of my evening prowl in search of The City sights.

I emerged from the subterranean at Bank. Fortunately, the rain (and quite a heavy one, by the look of it) had just dropped. Immediately I took a picture of The Royal Exchange building, the bus heading towards the the equestrian monument.   The Duke of Wellington on horseback was sculpted from enemy's battle cannons. To the left is the front facade of The Bank of England. It houses a museum where you can hold a 15-kg bar of gold. Regretfully, you cannot hold on to it.


More of the Bank of England details and surroundings follow:








 The statue of Sir John Soane who designed the Bank of England in 1793:

Little of Sir John Soane's design has remained after the building was rebuilt between the world wars.







After a small coffee and a few more pictures I finally got nearer to the destination: The Guildhall:















This visit to the Guildhall Art Gallery acquainted me with an amazing artist: Sir Mathew Smith:



When I arrived at the Great Hall, it was still half empty. Coming early gave my little camera a chance to explore the place for you, Dear Readers. However, soon all the seats were taken! The event started with a few minutes' delay which to me was a clear sign of the immigrants' negative impact on the English culture...  (Not that it bothers me. Quite contrary...)


































































The last picture of the day is at the top of this post. I took it descending into the tube that safely took me home.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment