Sunday 3 February 2013

Sunday! Multilingual misunderstanding followed by DEATH!

Going out to meet the world! Smiling to you!:-)

Things don't always turn out the way we expect, do they?

All excited about meeting the South Americans who came to London to see their team play England this week and to show them around London, as it was (I had thought) agreed, I found out with the help of a receptionist turned emergency-interpreter, that after an hour chat by the reception, we had to part as the guests were having a business lunch, in their own (or to be accurate, imposed by Iberian conquistadors) language. So, having an unexpected afternoon to myself in Euston area, and crossing the road, I was dragged into... DEATH...
 I knew about this temporary exhibition at Wellcome Collection, but unlike the previous ones, this theme didn't appeal to me to the extend that would prompt me to travel all the way across London, shaken (not stirred) by two tubes and subjected to the occasional 'attractions', like a devilishly screaming toddler who gave me a headache on the red line between Acton and Bond Street. Poor mother, I thought to myself, I will go on, but she has to put up with him for years to come...

Not remembering or not realising that photography was not permitted, I took these snaps and no more, as the attendant instructed me not to. Pity, because I was just about to photograph a few introductory sentences  to the exhibition, saying that it contains a collection amassed by one man, a librarian from Chicago, the city I'm very familiar with.

This enormous plaster bone 'chandelier' strongly reminded my of The Shrine of Skulls' in Czermna (http://www.poland.gov.pl/Kaplica,Czaszek,7174.html), southern Poland and of Kutna Hora in The Chech Republic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sedlec-Ossuary.jpg

'Memento mori'... but 'Non omnis moriar'

No comments:

Post a Comment