Sunday 19 May 2013

Learning to fly and what's up in S-ko Koscielne

Somewhere on the roof above me young birds are growing stronger. One of them flew down, not much of a distance as flapping wings efficiently must have been a newly acquired skill. It landed on the disused (actually, never of any use) aerial attached in the corner of my balcony. Even having landed, it was still flapping its wings, which truly amused me. The little black, or rather dark brown birdie, well, not so tiny, twice as big as a robin or an ordinary sparrow, it was also making some nice melodic sounds, as if announcing to the world: 'I've done it!', 'Look at me! I can fly! Look how well I'm flapping my wings!' I couldn't see that, but I'm pretty sure, the parents were watching their young one with delight. After a while, my winged hero took courage and flew further on, to the tree on the right and vanished in the rich foliage of the tree almost as tall as the building.

Mr Hundertwasser would be pleased to see that he has his followers in this part of Skarzysko. The new apartment houses cannot rival the oaks, maple and coniferous trees that fortunately were left undisturbed. However, a group of birches in the courtyard didn't survive. I don't really know what happened, whether they couldn't acclimatize to the changed surrounding or - as others say - took away the valuable parking space, no point in guessing. The life must go on.
.....
To those from afar, Skarzysko Koscielne is an older neighbour of Skarzysko Kamienna and this afternoon it opens a new regional tourist attraction: http://www.skarzysko.powiat.pl/powiat/aktualnosci/1128-spichlerz-regionalny-nowa-atrakcja-turystyczna-powiatu-skarzyskiego-otwarcie-juz-w-niedziele. I suppose, should I go there, I could see my friend performing folk dances on stage. For sure, I would see the recreated old dwelling with a huge collection of by-gone era artifacts and objects of art! Credits to the local poetess Elzbieta Jach and her husband Wlodzimierz for this great initiative materialised!  Best of luck with the project!
.....
When on my first crutch-less stroll, I saw a mini-bus arrive at The Town Cultural Centre. A colourfully clad group got off hastily and vanished inside the building. I witnessed  the local folk dance group return after their performance at Skarzysko Koscielne. Now I knew, my friend didn't dance with them today.
By the time I got to their 'landing place' featured above, they and the car were all gone. Hadn't they been so quick, I'd have asked them permission to 'snap' them for my blog.  I stopped there anyway, to chat with the man I know who works at the centre and told him about the missed opportunity. And then, one of the costumed dancers emerged and agreed to pose for me. However, he was in such a great hurry, I had no chance to find out if I could add the picture here.

The befriended centre employee invited me to look around the renovated monolithic 1950s 'temple of culture' and let me experience a few moments of  'Iron Man' in 3D, which I appreciated. You could see he was rather pleased with his workplace. The roofed patio conference room looked nice on a sunny day:

 Exhibition Gallery was ready to show some new works:
 The square behind MCK has been totally transformed. The crumbling statue of Leopold Staff (well known Polish poet  who spent the autumn of his life here) was gone for good, maybe because it resembled the leader of the Soviet Revolution too much....

The water feature was completely new to me:


Continuing my walk, I took more pictures:









Trees are not like some people, they don't like piercing!

The oldest school in town! Older than the town!


And here are more pictures. I am adding them, because there is a story to tell related to every single one. When will I find the time?...





















I had another chat, started when I friendly greeted an old lady pottering in her lovely garden (not depicted). We went to the same primary school, but she can remember the war. Her parents built the house where she's lived all her life and she cannot help recalling the horrific memories of the German occupation in Skarzysko. Her family witnessed a lot, as the nearby school was turned into a prison and torture chamber. It was from that place, hundreds of people were taken to the forest and shot dead by the Hitler's men. They would fall into mass graves they had had to dug for themselves....   Three of the ladies uncles were in The Home Army and it was a huge risk for the family when they would visit them. However, they needed food, shelter and proper rest from time to time. She told that once her uncle managed to 'steal' one of the prisoners forced to work by the Nazi so he could re-join The Home Army!






No comments:

Post a Comment