Sunday 4 August 2013

A superb summer day

Life can be wonderful!!!!!!!!

I wrote the above this morning, just before going to the beach to swim in the lovely warm salty waters with waves licking the shingle beach. The hotel was a mere five minute's walk from the beach which could be seen from the balcony window. Nothing was a problem for a man at the reception. He was very friendly and relaxed.

...
I'm only back home after a fantastic short trip (short - timewise, long - distance considering).
Earlier today I was swimming in a warm sea and enjoying the lovely weekend on the beach. Suddenly, when 'wallowing' in the waves, I felt some really nasty stinging in the forearm and saw some shape beside my hand in the water. It was a jellyfish!!! What a nuisance! I was frightened, didn't know what allergic reaction I may have. Hence I went to the life guards post where they treated the affected area with some cream which soothed the irritation. After half an hour in the shade I could go back to water and enjoy the farewell swim.

And what fate met my 'predator by chance'?
People who saw what happened took revenge on the creature brought to the shore by the tide. One man picked a little pink bucket and swam towards the jellyfish, navigated by his friends on the shore. A few more people in the water helped him catch it. Cautiously he brought the full bucket back and emptied it onto the pebbles. The poor creature was still alive, I could see. A large group of people, including children, gathered to see its last moments. They wanted to make sure no one else would suffer from a close encounter with the floating danger...



No comments:

Post a Comment