Thursday 15 August 2013

Mid-August in Szydłowiec

Oops! I did it again! How many more times will I forget to buy some ground coffee? The third morning in a row I have to drink instant one and it's just not the same. Out of desperation, today I would be ready to pop out to a nearby grocers and get it, but the shops are closed now and most of them will remain so for the day. The 15th of August, Assumption of Mary, is a holiday and for many in Poland it starts yet another 'long weekend'.
...
Today's biking pictures illustrate my expedition to Szydłowiec. This pretty little town has a long history which manifests itself in many ways.

On the way from Skarzysko I saw a horse-riding centre for disabled children:

Some thistle by the fence reminded me of the famous battle when, as the legend has it, this prickly plant contributed to the Scots defeat over the English invaders.
This husky used to be homeless and still loves escaping through a hole in the fence or in  any other way. She comes back after a day or so, looks worn out and soon after the owners hear about a hen or duckling missing in the neighbourhood...
The brown mutt was a stray dog as well. He befriended the husky and now is the second dog in the family! The two love each other's company.


Underwater furniture....








A disused quarry, one of a few around Szydłowiec:






At Szydłowiec Parish Cemetery:






















First time I noticed what the lily of the valley is like later in the year:











The Mount of Three Crosses in Szydłowiec:


A view of Szydłowiec featuring the famous Polish Gothic church:





 Szydłowiec Town Hall houses a nice restaurant in the basement. On a sunny summer day it's nice to eat outside, especially if you are served by a friendly waiter called Radek, who also is a keen biker.

Ice cream at the town square is a must on a day like this:




 The beautiful castle is undergoing a long due redecoration:

One of many road shrines, so typical of the Polish landscape:

Szydłowiec railway station is a long way from the centre and the actual town:

Countryside on the way back:

A roadside shrine, probably in Lipowe Pole:

The phone battery went dead and I didn't take any more pictures with my Sony. Just as well, as I have added too many to be able to write about them all...

I had a great day and that what matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment