Tuesday 6 August 2013

Colour intensifier and frog related musing


Pigeons seen from my bedroom

Despite sleeping very little last night, I woke up after 5 am today, completely unnecessary.
The world looked beautiful in the low morning sun. It gives amazing intensity to colours.



First time did I hear (but hardly could see under the tree) the street cleaner emptying the rubbish bin in the street below:


 Usually, as you may have noticed,  I take such hue-saturated pictures in the last hours of a day, when the sun is low again. Yesterday the conditions were just ideal. I could take pictures of the houses that feature in Skarzysko-Kamienna history and many others illustrating the simple beauty of ordinary sights. Yes, you got it right. I'm adding pictures soon. (Here is to inform you that I have duly added the yesterday snaps to the previous post. When you look at them (I hope you will), do not miss the ripe wild blackberries, seductively sweet and juicy, and the forgotten apple tree branches. Another one I like is of an old wooden farm with an  amazing, dim smoke covered forest in the background.)

However, first I'd like to tell you about our Saturday night meal in Nice.

EATING FROG AT 'THE FROG', Where else? ;-)
 It was hot. The Old Town was absolutely packed with well... hordes of tourists, who else? You could hardly squeeze past the tables of outdoors cafes and restaurants, but if you did find a table and were finally noticed by a waitress, you would find out that the kitchen had closed and even tea is out of the question or that you can only enter if you declare to have a whole dinner, not just one course or (how dare you!) a drink. Well, that was the moment I wished I were on crutches, because they might have admitted us out of pity. I must admit that there were not many places to seat in the public space of Nice centre which didn't help my still not fully recovered knee. At some stage we were only thinking of finding a night bus stop as there was no single taxi in sight. Then, we saw a pretty little side street to our right. It ended with a beautiful church, just like Ulica Swietego Jana in Krakow. (Should you have some time at hand, you are welcome to browse my blog for pictures of the Krakow church (Kosciol Pijarow) added this hot and sunny summer.)

 On the right we saw a decent restaurant with some vacant tables. We decided to give it a chance. As we approached it, we saw it was called: THE FROG! Fancy that!:-)


Most guests were finishing their feasts and leaving the restaurant. Most likely, we were the last guests to arrive, but it's to THE FROG's credit that they didn't turn us down, like a few other places in the crowded immediate centre.


We sat at a nice table outside, the waiter had no objection to our having just  drinks and a desert of choice (we thought of ice cream, I was hoping for a glass of Muscat). However, when I opened the menu, I saw the first item on the starters page: 5 frog thighs! You get it? Where else to sample the French delicacy if not at THE FROG?


My companion was not so brave and only tasted a bit from my portion. Anyway, he also resigned of a sweet dish in favour of a veal one, simple but good.


Yes! The frog legs were delicate and delicious. I could easily have them again. I may have had frog thighs in the past, but it didn't stuck in my memory as such a tasty meal. In fact, all the food we had in Nice was nice, even at the airport restaurant!

This I found on Facebook and could not resist adding here. Would you?

;;;
As the day progresses I need to add more things. A friend has asked me to add the info about a festival of a popular Polish soup called 'zalewajka'. That's funny. Looks that this hot summer, when it's too dry for wild mushrooms, various festivals are 'mushrooming' instead. Why not? If people like that.
Yesterday I learnt about a weekly event in progress in another nearby village. It's called Tabor Dom Tańca and here is the information (in Polish) about this folk event, recommended by The MCK Manager, Mr Krzysztof Szczygieł.




No comments:

Post a Comment