Friday 9 August 2013

Happysad and SEMAFOR

I clicked open the new post window so this will count as the Saturday, 10th August post! Just as well as I'll be going away for a family get-together.
....
Have you heard of a Polish band called happysad? They are from Skarzysko! This year they played at 19. Woodstock Festival Poland, Kostrzyn nad Odrą having waiting for their turn till 1 am. Afterwards, the leader was interviewed. When asked: 'What is music to you?', he replied: 'Music is my wife, my lover and my mother-in-law.' Neat answer at 4 am and after 24 hours on the go!
I have been a great fun of them since I heard their songs for the first time many years ago. I was preparing a visit to Skarzysko-Kamienna for a group of English students and teachers and wanted them to see what people do in our town. They gave me a CD with their songs to show them  and for a long time after the event either me or my son would play their music again and again. The music sounded so fresh and the lyrics were simple, but meaningful. Once I went with a colleague (an EFL teacher) to their concert at a local club called SEMAFOR. It was fun and funny to sit among so many of our current and present students and enjoy the gig. I couldn't go to their London concert, but I heard it was a big success. It is great to see them doing so well.:-)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for a few words about Woodstock Festival Poland and the gig of Happysad band in it. The festival is a big phenomenon and probably today such a big show can be done somewhere in the South America only - this year it was over 450 000 people according to police statistics!
    For me the most important is an idea of the Festival. It's very difficult to believe but it's a non profit event. The Festival is organized by the largest Polish Foundation /WOŚP/. Money used to organize Woodstock Festival Poland comes from their sponsors!
    So, at least one time of every year in Poland - PEOPLE OVER PROFIT!!!

    ReplyDelete