Saturday 29 November 2014

People and places of London and Sheen

Dashing to work! So much not written here...
First of all, yesterday I managed to get to Kentish Town from Sheen where I worked all day. It was nice to travel with a friend. We found The Lion and The Unicorn Theatre just in time to order our drinks at the pub downstairs. The tickets were waiting for us, left by darling Emma Vansittart whom soon we were to watch on stage:
                                     
The play is on till December 6! Hurry up!
...
Today I was back in Sheen again and here are some pictures to document my lunchtime walk:
Before I even got to the milestone on the crossroads, I met 'The Coolest Father Christmas in The World' who got a job with the funniest butcher in Sheen and surroundings:
 


 
As you can see above, I encountered a couple of Polish Santas. They were promoting Polish food, including bread, honey, cold meats, pickles and other preserves, and were kind enough to pose especially for me:
                            
Thank you! Wishing all the success under the new management!
I took two small pieces of rye bread for my colleague at Sheen shop by the garden shop. She loved it. Not surprisingly. It is very good.
...
Now I will add a picture of a very old and pretty cup and saucer:
It must be special if it costs 45 pounds at a charity shop despite being slightly cracked.
....
As usual, I met many interesting people at both Sheen Octavia shops.
One woman told me about her colleague from St Thomas Hospital who organised a pilgrimage kind of trip to Taize in France for a group of friends and really special and spiritual experience it was from her. She brought this pendant from there, but could not remember the story that goes with it:


I also talked to a woman who works at Kew Gardens and told her about my friend of many years, Teodora Gadjanski, an avid natural garden designer who is now training in Permaculture and working on her new website. Another woman joined us and revealed that, although born in England, she can speak Polish as her parents settled here after the WWII. They lived in a refugee camp and it wasn't easy... I'd love to have an opportunity to talk to her again. During my long wait at the bus stop on the way from work I talked to someone else. The man told me that his mother was from Vienna and his father met her when The British Army were stationed there.
...
When changing buses at Richmond, I listened to a couple jamming with Christmas tree in the background:
 
...
Mind you, yesterday I was in Sheen too, before the theatre!
The granny doll would make great gifts for my Grandmothers, but they are both long gone...

The curtains were huge and heavy. We put them out before I went to help at the other Octavia Sheen. There a customer came in search of... curtains. I told him where to go. He got them and the other pair as well.

 Knitted reindeer and a reflection of the only pub in this part of Sheen:

Upper Richmond Road, near the milestone:


Here you can check your 'butcher's vocabulary:

The dog called Eva was told to sit by his Master. I guess I could have asked the man his name.

On the shelf with bric-a-brac I picked a figurine of a woman who didn't look like a saint, more like a highway (wo)man. It had a name: Anne Bonny. A customer told me it wasn't a woman of The Wild West, but she couldn't recall much about her. Fortunately, dear Wiki is here to help.
No clue what's going on in this picture. Do you?
 Stopping to take these two pictures cost us a 20-minute wait for the next train to Waterloo...  I hope my nephew will say that it was worth it... ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment