Tuesday 11 November 2014

Mothers learning English

This blog is gaining popularity, surely! Behold: the very first tattoo with my blog address:
What better evidence to expect?;-)

This morning I visited an English lesson for mothers at a Jubilee Cildren's Centre in West London. The teacher is a friend and colleague of mine. Finally, I had an opportunity to go there, having been invited for a long time. I didn't want to disturb too much so I went there for the last twenty minutes of the lesson. It was a nice experience to meet the young mothers from many countries, all eager to learn and hungry for contact with others in this short time when someone else was looking after their children. The visit made me think of the times when I taught to immigrant mothers in South London and found it a very rewarding experience, except for one thing: the commute. Apart from that, I have wonderful memories of those people and places. I had women from Europe, Asia, Africa and South America in the classroom while their children were playing and/or learning next door. It was fascinating. We learnt a lot from each other.

Here is a picture I took in the classroom today. You can see the teacher, Anthony Smith surrounded by pictures of his students receiving their well earned ESOL certificates last year:

Last week I saw another ESOL classes venue, in Park Royal:

  Photo Photo

Another mother-friendly place, where mums can learn English for free! :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment