Saturday 22 November 2014

South Indian food. Victorian hotel.

What a tasty meal I had at The Sagar, a vegetarian Indian restaurant in Hammersmith! The mango lassi was delicious and so was the food followed by their special spiced tea.

Photo

I wrote about it to contest my friend's bad opinion about Oriental food. He definitely should give it another chance.
...
Now I am sitting comfortably in my armchair and am about to add a few pictures from a hotel near The Gloucester Road Station. Today a Christmas tree arrived there. I photographed it before the staff finished decorating it.


 

 

This is what a typical old fashioned London hotel bar looks like, for those who don't know!:-)

Before it became a hotel, for a time the house belong to the Earl of Strathmore, maternal grandfather of Queen Elizabeth II. Whether the late Queen Mother would play here as a little girl I am not so sure. The family had many properties and also I am not clear as to when the house was sold. Undoubtedly though, it has the royal connections.;-)

The house was built shortly after the Great Exhibition which attracted millions of visitors in 1851.
Once the grounds in the area were owned by John Thurloe, Secretary of State in Oliver Cromwell's government. Thurloe was a very clever man indeed...

No comments:

Post a Comment