Thursday 20 November 2014

Polish descendants. Bears and more...

Cycling through the park yesterday I met a young man watching the birds on an old oak tree. We chatted and I found out that his grandfather was Polish. He was in the army and fought at Monte Cassino. During the war he was captured by the Soviets but managed to get away and eventually settled in Britain, like so many other Polish people who couldn't get back to their country when it became part of the Soviet block after WWII.

Earlier in the day I spoke to a friend who told me about a Polish couple who made England their home after WWII. She was a remarkably brave woman who fought in the Warsaw uprising, was captured by the Nazi Germans and sent to a POW camp in Germany. When the prisoners were freed by the English, she made her way to England. Her husband fought against the Germans as well and when the war ended he stayed in the UK. The woman died quite recently.
...
Now a portion of today's photos, not at all related to the above topic:

These bears decorate a building in High Street Kensington. It houses many shops, an underground station and a roof garden with a Private Members Club. When you stop to think about it, the bears may be a link to the war topic. Actually, the Polish Army had a... pet Syrian brown bear called Voytek! Click here to read about this unusual soldier bear.


One can say: one good bear deserves another, paraphrasing a well known saying. Hence, a picture of the bear who is storming the cinemas these days:


Dear Learning English Readers! Here comes a competition!

The first to submit the actual saying which I have paraphrased as 'One good bear deserves another' can rightly await a prize!
So? Scroll down to the end of this text and key in the answer and key in the answer in the comments section!
...
And I will continue with the pictures:
Kensington Church Street saw me today. The street starts on the corner right behind Paddington Bear where you can see the new Roadmaster bus. TheTrinity Hospice charity shop puts a lot of effort to make the window attractive.
 
Two or three people were praying at a little church on my way. There was an exhibition on the life of Saint Teresa of Avila.
 

To be accurate, I didn't walk to the very end of Ken Church Street today as I decided to turn left escaping the hustle and bustle of a busy road. The little side street has its charm, especially on a sunny day.
 
 


Photo

Having passed the house where Walter Crane, the painter, lived I decided to take a shortcut to High Street Kensington and took more pictures...
 

 

    
 

High Street Kensington:

  
Pop-up art show:
    
 

 Photo

Around new Kensington Town Hall and Library:
Photo Photo

 Photo

Where High Street Ken meets Earls Court which leads to Holland Park one comes across a big building site. Behind it there is a tent-like roof of the former Commonwealth Institute. The new complex is to house The Museum of Design.


Before I finally arrived at the Octavia shop a short a bit further west of this place I had had a sandwich followed by my favourite 'Cortado, no froth' coffee next to The Odeon Cinema which, like many, is threatened with extinction. Of my today's Octavia encounters I've got to mention in chronological order:
-a very competent new staff member
-a cute dog Photo
-an extremely talkative man who said he had worked as a journalist for the BBC, new some Polish and has been to Poland a number of times!
......
Meanwhile, my friend is carrying out job interviews in Cebu, Philippines. He says there is a lot of poverty in that city... Do we realise how lucky we are to live here and now?
As I haven't yet received a single picture from his trip, I'm adding a T shirt spotted at the above mentioned Octavia shop!
Photo

5 comments:

  1. That's easy but I am an English teacher so I presume I can not enter the competition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot disagree with you, Anthony. Thank you for paying a visit to this humble site.:-)

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't enter the competition either ! It would be unfair as English has always been my second 'natural' language.
    I love the photos, of one of my favourite walks (from Notting Hill Gate to Kensington High Street) with the detours in he little lanes behind the church itself etc .
    I can also say what a pleasure it was to meet you this afternoon. Acting on your advice I had a look at W Sedlak. He seems to have been a remarkable man.
    I've tried Alexandra Viatteau to see if there's anything about her in English. Very little. But try Googling her name and adding a word in Polish such as 'historian' or something.
    There is a lot about Bogdan Frymorgen, whom I knew well at the BBC (and with whom I've kept in touch). One example here : http://trzecieoko.com/portfolio/bogdan-frymorgen-frymografia-trzecim-oku/
    Another here http://bogdanfrymorgen.fotoblogia.pl/
    Last of the places I mentioned ; Belvedere Traditional, 340 Kilburn High Rd, London NW6 2QJ Telephone 020 3602 1136
    As for me, you'll find me here http://xavierkreiss.co.uk/ My website is primitive but at least I did it myself and it serves its purpose as a sort of photo album. I'll be adding a dozen or so pictures soon.
    I'm also on Facebook where I've posted hundreds of photographs (it's so easy) !
    One of these days, you never know, you might have a little spare time and we could improvise a photo safari.?
    Until then, take care,

    Xavier ( kreiss@btinternet.com )


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Xavier, Thank you for paying a visit to my blog and the interesting information. I've looked briefly at your website. Nice pictures! Yes, W.Sedlak was amazing. He went to school in Skarzysko-Kamienna. I was an EFL teacher there decades later. Actually, the Town Cultural Centre is staging a big event to celebrate him at the end of this month. I hope they will broadcast it online. Will look at your recommendations asap. Now have to dash. Have a great day!

      Delete
    2. At last I could have a look at the topics recommended by Xavier. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find anything substantial in English or Polish about the eminent historian: Aleksandra Kwiatkowska Viatteau. Much more luck with Frymografia. Lots of useful advice and comments of the art and skills of picture taking. However, especially interesting is the fact that those who are lucky enough to be in Krakow until 7 December have an opportunity to attend an exhibition of Bogdan Frymorgen's photography at The Galeria Trzecie Oko in Bochenska Street. (The Third Eye Gallery, isn't it intriguing?)

      Delete