Tuesday 18 November 2014

Of teachers, artists and craftsmen

This is actually happening! A native speaker English teacher was contacted by a school he called his workplace for a long time. They need his help to teach English to a... teacher trainee from a faraway country. Children, being children, are making fun of her accent. Both cannot understand each other.
...
In a nutshell, what else happened today that I can tell you about. At lunchtime I visited an art gallery in Beauchamp Place. Gladwell & Patterson have been experts in the fine arts for over two and a half century!

I browsed among the paintings of Walter and Willem Dolphyn. Precision comes to my mind as the best word to describe the works of the two artists, father and son. One of them lives in Antwerp, the other in the South of France. Here are a few of the son's paintings:




 Traditional still-life paintings by the father will surely appeal to many people. I'm glad I saw them and can show a few to you, Dear Readers! As I am not an art critic, I will not dwell on the topic.

:Beauchamp Place in Knightsbribge is a pretty little street full of shops, boutiques, cafes and restaurants. I like to stroll along it window shopping. The map shop always attracts my attention. Look what they had on display today:


...
In the evening, walking back to South Ken Station, I persuaded my colleague to see a photographic exhibition at the Campbell's of London, a picture framing shop opposite the station entrance. I pressed the bell and after a minute or so, a young man emerged and invited us in. We were shown the photographs from Africa by a Lebanon born artist who decided to abandon the career in corporate law for photography. Christian Ghammachi has extensively travelled in Africa to capture the disappearing uniqueness of this vast land. Can you imagine? This man travelled alone on a motorbike across the length of the continent!







And here is our kind host, the framer:


Some of the frame samples:



And framed pictures:
 

I wish I'd asked who painted this landscape. I like it!Besides, half of the frame was made by the man who was showing us around!


I am grateful to the man as well as to the women at the gallery I visited at lunchtime for their kind attention.

Another person who we found very helpful was a Burmese security guard at The Ismaili Centre. He gave us very

No comments:

Post a Comment