Monday 17 December 2012

Doctor's English and more on the knees!

Hi! This is going to be an exciting bit! I'm back from another knee scan. Today's doctor spoke in such a way, I really couldn't make sense of what he was saying. It wasn't a matter of accent, dialect or manner of speech. Maybe, after a good while, I could get used to it, but not during the short, momentary appointment. The whole ultrasound scan didn't take him a minute, then he 'said' something which his assistant explained as 'water in the joint' and we both understood that the doctor was going to recommend MRI scan on both knees, which was an obvious thing to do in the first place, and the next thing he did was... read a newspaper. He didn't really stop that when I came up with some questions regarding the health problem that brought me to his room, but I heard some extra mumbling which was meant to be a response. I needed to know if he thought I should use crutches, especially that I'm going to spend Christmas with relations who live in a fourth-floor flat with no lift! His advice was to stay there once I get upstairs!

Usually, there are jokes about doctors' handwriting being illegible, but today I encountered one who needs an interpreter to be understood even by the native speakers of English... As I was leaving, I had a quick chat with the receptionist and she admitted that she had no clue what he was saying most of the time...

A few pictures from my escapade to the hospital, taken from the top deck of Bus 207 and the fast one 607 on the way back:

WEST EALING






HANWELL



WEST EALING again



I have one regret about yesterday. In a rush for the bus I didn't stop to take a picture of little birds having a bath in the wet patch of Haven Green I had to cross in a hurry. If only I hadn't already got delayed by shooting the picturesque views...



If I'd taken the next picture after that, it would show the birds splashing happily about in the middle of the swamp which was probably what baths in Bath were to the Romans! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment