Saturday 1 December 2012

Winter cold strikes here as well as the desert!

December has started appropriately - there is still been some frost outside. The sun is coming through the grey layers and all begins to look better. Beware! Winter cold is arriving everywhere.Yesterday, 'Our Man in The Middle East' invested in a proper goose feather duvet and pillow yesterday and this morning reported that the purchase proved useful! No pictures to illustrate his recent report, but I can share some from his recent desert trip to the dry lake.








BTW, it didn't take long for the sky here, in London, to go grey again. There will be a few more pics of the exterior, taken at the platforms in Ravenscourt Park and Turnham Green; we sometimes knickname the latter one "Rotten Ham", the ham that turned green. Did you also notice how soon it happens these days? In the past, if you bought a some nice piece of cold meat, you could keep it in the fridge for much longer and it would a bit dryer, but still tasty and aromatic. Now, once you open the packet, you'd better eat it up quick or it will get slimy, shiny and greenishly-rainbowy in colour... ( I hope you are OK with my use of the language, I know I have full support from one of the EFL methodology gurus. At one of the IATEFL Conferences he was encouraging us, non-native EFL teachers to be creative with words and not to dare form adjectives almost whenever we fancy. I wish I remembered if it was Jeremy Harmer or Adrian Doff. I doubt it was someone else.)


Anyway, going back to my Saturday, I'm glad I used the opportunity to see a new exhibition on a famous English writer of Polish descent at The Polish Cultural Institute in Ravenscourt Park. I read his biography a few years ago, but, I must say, the compact and informative form of the exhibition had an impact on me. Credits to the person who prepared it. To me, it gives just enough facts and comments about his life and work set in the historical context  to make it approachable for an average visitor, whether Polish or English, or else. 

 As the Richmond train was coming first, I decided to hop on and then change at Turnham Green, instead of freezing on the same platform.

 Piccadilly Line trains from Heathrow normally do not stop between Acton Town and Hammersmith, so many people who travel farther, change there from the snail District Line to speed up the journey.






The District Line train emerges slowly in the distance:

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment