Sunday 9 December 2012

Do- Little Sunday

The most important achievement of the first part of the day was to get rid of a nasty headache and the evening was dominated by a traditional activity: writing Christmas cards, mostly to those who still use snail-mail. OK, I also went through the pile of papers-to-look-at-later and unearthed a few bits I thought I'd share.

- Scribbled on a piece of paper, long time ago: THE URBAN VOODOO MACHINE; I remember talking to the guy from this band at a Fulham Road shop and remember listening to some of the band's music. Try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4gNorKKaAU or that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTB0oU3GjNU.

- Someone else, can't remember who, shared their favourite song with me: 'LIKE A FIRE' by Solomon Burke

- 'THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER AND CLAY' by Michael Chabon is a must -read, I was told

- 'You must listen to THE BEST OF THE DRIFTERS', I heard
I went through a few of their songs. They reminded me of the summers in Ireland. Our host had a big collection of vinyl records from the 50s and 60s and when it rained (which was often, of course) we would play them. On a rare occasion, we would persuade him to bring his old percussion downstairs, put it together and play for us. Luckily, the nearest houses were at a sensible distance! :-)
....
Hugely delayed, 09.12.2012 snaps are being added:

 This poster has gone to a friend in Poland. He is a big fan of Eric Clapton. I took him (my friend, not Eric) to the guitarists' 'mecca' in Denmark Street and at one shop he gave a pretty good 'mini-recital'.
 This band member came to look for some props when I was at a Fulham Rd Octavia Foundation shop:
....
Please let me know if I had added this picture somewhere else. I may have also mentioned that I youtubed them and found a song that I played my son for his birthday in 2012! :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment