Wednesday 5 December 2012

Snow was here at night

I could still see tiny bits of snow melt on the garden wall this morning. I think it was snow, anyway. Must dash now!
Till later! :-)

Later has come!
It's 8 pm, very cold, I'm back home, less hungry after some hot Thai style soup and determined to write about my today's encounters in Turnham Green.

There was another Chinese lady from Beijing, buying a suit for her son who felt really embarrassed because chatting to me, she didn't notice that I put both pieces of the suit into the bag and wanted to grab another black garment from the till. She kept apologising, but in the end we both laughed at it.

Two young women were trying on a lot of garments and finally bought a few. They turned out to be from Israel, one of them studying here in London, the other visiting her, I believe. That one told me she and her family originally were from somewhere in Russia, then lived for a time in Moldova before making it to Israel. I wish we'd had more time to talk.

Then, there came an elegant and beautiful black lady who, I learnt, always buys vintage clothes and then customises them, as she's known how to make a good use of a needle and thread since her parents taught her when she was 14! How useful! (Mind you! My maternal grandmother was a dressmaker, but I had to steer clear from her magical machine and other equipment, as it had to be in pristine condition. Maybe I should have insisted more... ) We had good fun with this lady when she tried on different clothes delighted with my recommendations. However, her much older husband (she told me that) was getting impatient waiting for her in the car, so she decided to cut the shopping spree short and, promising to come back soon, left with a lovely dress, coat and an embroidered skirt.

Finally, I need to mention the two lovely ladies from Madrid, a mother and daughter. They were looking for a jacket to match a gorgeous evening dress and I managed to help them find the right one, so they left convinced that 'I'm always right' and 'If in doubt, refer to point one.' :-) The mother said next time she would take a trip to London to do the shopping, not just for a visit. The girl is studying Philosophy and came to London on ERASMUS, EU students' exchange programme. I was impressed how well both of them spoke English!


Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment