Monday 10 December 2012

From Ada to Madeleine

Mr Google told me it's Lord Byron's daughter, Ada Lovelace's birthday today! She is often perceived as the world's first computer programmer. Her parents separated early and since she was a few months old when it happened, she didn't see her dad as he went to live abroad and died when she was eight. Not much of a consolation that they are buried at the same cemetery by a small church in which a painting of Christ with an adulterous woman by Daniel Maclise can be found. One day I'll go to see that place. Daniel Maclise was quite a prolific painter and some of his works can briefly be seen at The Houses of Parliament during a speedy guided tour. I was interested to through this set: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/daniel-maclise. I can appreciate his talent and attention to details, but there is something in his works that I do not find that appealing.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a link which shows Ada Lovelace's connections with The Borough of Ealing, where my home is for now:
http://www.caraealing.org/index_htm_files/Inaugural%20CARA%20Lecture%20by%20Dr%20Jonathan%20Oates%20-%20Final.pdf
....
Here is a selection of Ealing pictures taken on that day, 10.12.2012, the first two from the top seat on a double-decker. That's a great way of seeing London!

Florist shop in Hanwell, Ealing

The Brent River and Wharncliffe Viaduct, Ealing

Art for Art's Sake Gallery, Ealing Green

Ealing Green

Bond Street, Ealing Broadway



No comments:

Post a Comment