Tuesday 22 January 2013

Cab service let me down

In order to be on time for my extremely important physiotherapy appointment I booked a taxi with the company discovered during my bad leg visits to the local hospital. They were kind, reliable and more affordable. Besides, I could sit at the front which is not possible in a black cab.

Today I was informed about a 15 - 20-minute wait and that was fine with me, I reckoned. I waited outside so the driver could see me, afraid to move as it was still very slippy  (or slippery, should you prefer) after the frosty night. I waited and waited. I phoned the taxi people again, they apologised and said they were extremely busy, but it'll be only five to ten minutes wait. I phoned the physio then and left a message to let them know. Another 15 minutes passed, I was about to turn to an icicle, despite all the wrapping, I phoned the taxi again. Big sorry and I was asked if I'd like to cancel. No, I didn't, but my appointment was in jeopardy. I phoned the hospital again and was told that if I'm more than 10 minutes late I need to reschedule. I still had 15 minutes. The taxi was supposed to come in one minute. Eventually it did, the same kind Sri Lankan driver as last week. I got there 20 minutes late, spoke to the physiotherapist for 10 minutes and got the new date, in February.

It must be somebody with a wicked sense of humor, I mean, those who established the Musculoskeletal and Orthopedic Rehab in this obscure location, where a patient using public transport has to walk along a narrow road for around 15 to 20 minutes and is most likely not to be able to do that easily, hence referred to this place! And the walk is either along the cemetery wall or right across the Victorian necropolis itself. How thoughtful!:-) http://services.ealingtoday.co.uk/Services/Detail/497898/454016#Services/Detail/497848


In a friendly chat, the cab driver told me it is never below 20 degrees in his country and he loves it when it's 40 degrees Celsius; which is most of the time. That I wouldn't enjoy, just as I'm not fond of extreme cold.

However today, I limited myself to enjoying a slow and cautious walk back from the hospital to the bus stop.   The route led along the path that splits South Ealing Cemetery which I photographed on a sunny day earlier this month.


The traffic was very slow, not a fortunate time of the day if you want to avoid delays.

When we were stuck at the T-junction I just couldn't help taking a picture of someone clad in shorts when there is ice on the pavements! He must be made of different clay...


One winter, as we were lunching at The North Star Pub, tartar sauce landed on my jacket sleeve when the cute waiter tripped over something. It took two dry cleanings to get the stains removed.. The Star  fetched the bill.


Famous Ealing Studios are hiding behind the trees on the right. It's not easy to visit the pilar of British film making. I haven't yet succeeded, but I only tried once.:-)


St Mary's Church is where the road winds to the right and then continues crossing Piccadilly Line taking people to and from Heathrow Airport:

Outside the hospital

Entering the cemetery path:














I'm really not a cemetery fan, it just happens I'm around, but still in and out ... :-)
Seriously, I'd much rather wander around the area known as Little Ealing, across the street from the cemetery and search for the developments that replaced Little Boston House, taking inspiration from the memories of an English-Canadian lady in her eighties whose father was behind this whole project:  http://littleealinghistory.org.uk/book/export/html/14.

2 comments:

  1. Great winter photos which emphasise how a cemetery is now a city forest ))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's a pleasure, and luxury, to capture beauty in the surrounding world.:-)

    ReplyDelete