Thursday 17 January 2013

What does 17 January mean to me?


Today, the 17th of January means to me:

a/ two days till my late father's 'name day' - that's what we celebrate more than birthdays 'on the continent'
b/ a wonderful old lady's birthday

When I was at school it  meant, on top of my dad's special day, celebrating two anniversaries:
a/ of pushing Germans out of Warsaw in 1945
b/ of pushing them out of my hometown of Skarzysko-Kamienna on the same date.
Only later did I learn about the intricacies of politics....

Being a teacher, my father would come back from work with some flowers and chocolates;  not as many as my mother who who taught at a primary school. That's how it was. The choc supply lasted long. I preferred the centres of chocolates, so would remove the chocolate coating and leave it for my bro or dad. ;-) Sure, I would be told off for that.
;;;;

Why not? I'm adding the contents of my oven, enough meat for three portions plus some potatoes. It doesn't really matter if these are or aren't horse meat-free turkey fillets if you are seriously starved. I envy vegetarians, whenever I try that, I end up with my 'batteries flat'. However, all these stories about what goes into 'human fodder' are rather off-putting. I won't be dwelling on that now.


Good night!



No comments:

Post a Comment