Tuesday 8 January 2013

Shortcut through South Ealing Cemetery

Today I had an opportunity to take a few pictures of another Victorian necropolis: South Ealing Cemetery which was laid out in 1861.  My route led me right through it.  There is a footpath cutting through the cemetery. Bikes are allowed between the rails but not in the burial grounds.












Half-way along the footpath, you can enter either of the parts of the cemetery. So I did, leaving the path which probably led as far as Popes Lane among the railings lined with beautiful white birch trees.

First, I turned right and trying to capture the pretty scenes highlighted by the sunlight, I found the Commonwealth Memorial commemorating people fallen in WWI and WWII who were buried here.




The Commonwealth Memorial:

Owing to some lady who made a list of the graves and published it online, I had some idea where to look for the resting place of the Perceval sisters who were the last occupants of Pitshanger House in Walpole Park.


This angel I have seen a great deal of times from the top deck of Bus 65:



The sun disappeared had behind the clouds by the time I discovered this amazing tree trunk. It looked as if it was covered in eyes, rather weird...


 The cemetery buildings were  designed by Charles Jones. Ealing owes so much to this man.
Below are the two chapels and belfry, and a detailed description can be read here: http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-479954-two-chapels-at-south-ealing-cemetery-gre . What a splendid vocabulary resource for non-native speakers of English with an interest in architecture!


1 comment:

  1. Such a nice cemetery, a great place for a summer picnic ))

    ReplyDelete