Wednesday 30 January 2013

Just like in Eire!

It's been very, very moist this morning, typical English weather. The BBC weather page promises some sunshine in the afternoon, isn't that good? :-)

Incredible! Maybe ten minutes went by and there IS sunshine, the last little clouds are being chased away. Oh, that's like a holiday by the sea in Ireland: you've had breakfast, it got sunny, you pack up and drive to the beach, park the car, take the stuff to the sand and by the time you settle there, clouds bring the rain, so you gather your bundles, run to the car, drive back and... by the time you are home it's sunny again, and so on and so forth....

The rest of the day was free from 'sky water', but very windy. At one moment the wind blew from the side so strongly that it nearly pushed me off the park path.

Here are the pictures of  Ealing Broadway today:

  








.....

Memories... Some more, of a person from another country I had visited before the war hit it. A few months ago I received an e-mail from my dear friend Zoran and forwarded it to my friends, being quite proud of him. He wrote me about a book of his haiku about to be published:  


Without Keys
haiku poems with love
Zoran Mimica


We've known each other since we were at university and that was...  well, in the previous century! Of so many humanities students from all over the world attending the Young Philosophers' Congress met there, I have been in touch only with Zoki all these years. The following summer we stayed with him and his family in Croatia, sightseeing in Zagreb and relaxing by the sea near Split. During the Balkan conflict I sent him a big parcel with food and domestic items, but it was of no use, as after all the security checks, the content was a mess: packets and packages open and food mixed with washing powder etc... (Just like when our relations sent us parcels from the USA during the 'empty shelves' era...) He came to stay with me when after the summer holidays Finnish authorities did not admit him into their country so he could continue work at Turku University. Eventually, his family decided to leave their war-tormented country and settled in Vienna. Things were not easy for them. I remember on one of guided tours I went to see Zoran at work: he was a waiter in Vienna... However, he was also doing some academic work. He invited my to a lecture he gave in London two or three years ago. It's a pleasure to count him as one of my friends! I know he's been publishing many of his haiku for a long time. Now they come as a book and I have no doubt that the Mia who did the cover painting is one of his daughters! Well done, Zoki and Katka! :-)))

;;;;

A few vintage posters I hurriedly captured on the way home today:





Good night!





No comments:

Post a Comment