Friday 24 January 2014

Closing The Ark at W3

Yousif Naser introduced a new tradition to W3 Gallery in Acton. His exhibition, which is closing today, had both an opening and a closing reception. You may go to my earlier post to see the pictures from the first occasion, those from yesterday are below.

Leaving home in the afternoon for my physio appointment, I photographed the first sign of spring in one of the front gardens a few steps from from my abode:
The little white flowers are called snowdrops as they bloom in the winter season, most before vernal equinox. Hence snow in their name: snow + drop (although, as we know, snow falls in flakes, unlike rain, which usually comes in drops; well it can be 'bucketing' when extreme). The word meaning 'snow' occurs in the Polish name for a snowdrop: 'przebiśnieg'. 'Snow' is 'śnieg' in Polish. The first part of the word 'przebi-' comes from the verb 'przebijać' - 'to drill' or 'to bore'. It refers to the fact that the snowdrop often actually pushes itself through the snow. The power of nature! :-) 

Walking on,  I encountered a strangely behaving big black bird. It was not a blackbird, that much I know! Looking sort of sad and distressed, it kept walking across the street shouting something in its own black bird way. What may have happened to the bird? Why wouldn't it fly? Maybe somebody stole the eggs from her (or his) nest? Maybe (s)he lost the spouse? I wouldn't know. I'd need to ask one of my students from a distant past. He didn't really shine at the English classes, but knew a lot about birds. Well, as they say, you can't be good at everything...


When I got to the gallery, the party was in full swing. People were talking and joking, enjoying the fermented grapes and plain fruit juices, and various snacks. Rachel from The Acton Forum was taking pictures, to document the event.



I had a great pleasure of meeting many interesting people including the poet, Fawzi Karim. I looked at a few of his poems and... they did speak to me. That is rare, I'm not that much into poetry, generally speaking. His book cover is adorned with a painting he made. It shows him swimming happily near his boat, back in his home country: Iraq.


One of Yousif's friends, his GP, came to see his works after a funeral service. Prof. Man Fong Mei parted with this world. He was a truly amazing man of many virtues.

Apparently, the doctor also writes a blog. I'm going to follow it.
Can you imagine Yousif's surprise when his GP came to see his exhibition in Paris a few years ago?

Another eminent guest, Karen Dabrowski successfully avoided my camera. We met some time ago when she was promoting one of her books on The Middle East. At the moment she is working on an up-to-date travel guide book to Iraq. Karen was born to Polish parents who couldn't go back to their homeland after the WWII ended.

I had nowhere to escape when the host's Cannon aimed at me. Better not to see the results...

There are many events organised by The Acton Forum. Now The Ark is part of it.

Here is one of the next projects at W3 Gallery:

Like on the opening day, the evening ended with a meal at the same Iranian restaurant in West Ealing. It was packed with hungry customers. We had to queue for a table.



Finally, we sat at a table by a bookshelf. I spotted a book by Oscar Wilde in Polish, but the one that drew my attention was 'Hippopotamus' by Steven Fry:
Allowed to borrow it, started reading when I got to bed. I'll never cease to admire the eloquence of the author. It would be so interesting to have an opportunity to chat with this witty man.

No comments:

Post a Comment