Wednesday 29 January 2014

A holiday in Iran, Viking fiesta and Polish poetry!

Would you like to look at ten pictures from a holiday in Iran? No, not mine. A friend told me about a Polish couple who went there. The pictures are here, but there is also a blog, in Polish. I'm going to check it out. Many thanks to my friend in Poland who prompted me about it. :-)
...
Health front news? Really disappointing, I must say. Three days of 'house arrest' turned insufficient. But I shan't bore myself and you, dear readers, with the details of my 'pilgrimages' to the surgery etc, unless you insist. ;-)

Instead, with those festival and fiesta goers among you, I'd like to spread the news about The Viking Festival in York. It will be fun, I suppose! York is a fantastic city, with it's imposing cathedral, historic streets (Is one of them called The Shambles?) and lots of tourist stuff, including the Viking museum called The Jorvik Centre. I went there with tourists when bringing them on coaches all the way from Poland. Can you imagine that? Once we met a pavement artist making a big picture near York Minster (the cathedral). He turned out to be Polish. Have I mentioned that in any of my previous posts?
As you know, or maybe don't know, York was called Jorvik when The Vikings ruled this island, and it was the major city those days.
...

A dear artist friend from a distant land asked me about the Polish poetry. I must admit that my answer was less than comprehensive than I would like to give off hand. However, tonight another friend, a compatriot, quoted an American expert on Slavic literature and I found some of his texts cover the topic in demand!

Cures for the Common Cold War: Postwar Polish Poetry

Benjamin Paloff  - At least a synopsis of the Polish post-war poetry can be found here.
...
Maybe this is enough for today.

GOOD NIGHT! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment