Thursday 7 August 2014

A London commuter's day

This cuddly teddy bear is looking for a new home. He waited for a couple of hours outside Octavia Foundation shop at 136 Wandsworth Bridge Road, but wasn't lucky so went inside the shop when the evening came.

 There are many stereotypes... Blonde women are often presented unfavourably. What about mental blondes? ;-)

...
Do you know the Hangman word game? In my experience, students have always liked it, but

 ...
I opened a book of cat-themed poems and pictures (so many of them here) and read about The Cat of Cats. What a cat!
......
This cute little doll, unlike the little puppy, was never played with. The colour of her dress made me think of the first set of crayons I had at school. There was blue like this. I remember colouring the clothes of the Virgin Mary in the colouring book for the religion class. Blue is her colour. As a child, I never saw a woman in the Middle Eastern style clothes in the street, only on black and white TV. Religion classes (one hour a week) were optional and held outside school, at a church building. Only one girl from my class didn't attend them. Her parents divorced and her father was in the ruling party, it was whispered. It must have been strange for her not to be with other children....


.....
With so many people fond of cats around me, I got hooked on as well. Here comes a romantic cats vest:
 .....

After work, I had to walk to New King's Rd to catch a bus to the shop in King's Rd, to drop off the key. Why did I have to walk? You see, it was quicker to walk than to take a bus. The traffic was solid. When I got to New Kings Rd and turned right, the bus stop was nowhere near. I had to keep walking for a good, good while. Finally, I got on the double decker and even found a well deserved seat and eventually reached the destination. Through the door I could see three of my colleagues waiting for me. It was 6.30 pm. What could I do? This is London and the delights of its traffic. Anyway, I think they understood.  After a brisk chat, I left them with the keys and headed home determined to get there avoiding more walking. (You need to know, that I had also walked three stops on the way to work in the morning and got to work well ahead of the bus!) I was heading for Bus 328  to take me to Earls Court. It is a bit of a walk, I tell you. However, all of a sudden, crossing the street, I noticed Bus 49 to White City stopping a few steps from me on the left. Instantly, I changed my mind and decided to catch it. But the bus was about to leave. Out of desperation, I 'threw myself'' in front of the obliviously departing Bus 49. The driver had no choice but stop the vehicle and let me aboard. I thanked him and touching in the Oyster card I asked if he stopped at Shepherds Bush to which he replied: 'I will stop for you!'.
That was very funny!

...

The bus took me along bohemian King's Rd, through South Kensington and Holland Park area. 




From Derry Street you can enter the Secret Roof Gardens if you are lucky!



Mind you, the route was scenic and I had a comfy seat on the upper deck, but it took around an hour to get to Shepherds Bush.

I wonder where this man got all these peacock fethers....
 Oh boy, I got hungry. It was nearly 8 pm and I was still far from home. I called a local  friend if he knew of a falafel place that wouldn't cost a fortune, but he was of no help. You see, since the Westfield Shopping Centre opened, the prices in the area have gone up. No Fulham Palace Road lunch deal : 1.99 for a falafel wrap with humus and salad. Here I got a take-away one for 4 quid and considered myself lucky. Went to eat it on the grass at Shepherds Bush Green, sat on the sun-burnt lawn under the tree thinking I'd connect myself with Mother Earth....  Well, well, well... It felt a bit strange. Immediately, I realised what it was. I was sitting above the tube tracks and could sense the vibrations of the trains passing by....







Another bit of walking across the green and up Uxbridge Road, and I got to the next bus stop. The fast Bus 607 arrived and the final leg of my journey home started. Finally, I 'landed' in Ealing, did some essential shopping at a friendly Polish shop on the way, and got home ready for a nice cup of Abu Jabal tea and look at the pictures of old Jeddah my friend took last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment