Thursday 14 August 2014

Andrew Aue's TheatreArt in Chelsea Gallery, Old Town Hall

Today I will be near Chelsea Physic Garden, a pleasant walled garden established as The Apothecaries Garden in 1673. After  The University of Oxford Botanic Garden, it is the second oldest botanical garden in Britain. I remember having an afternoon tea with friends a few years ago, very enjoyable.:-)
...
You can't really enjoy a garden visit in the rain unless you are a frog, a slug or an earthworm. Hence, we headed for  The Chelsea Old Town Hall to see if there was any art exhibition in the upstairs Chelsea Gallery. Yes, a poster outside assured us of it. I walked my friend through the library and up an elegant staircase, past the bust of Thomas Carlyle who used to live nearby (you can visit his house, it's a National Trust property), a nymph sculptured by a local artist and a panorama of old London with a shopping street on London Bridge.
Not only did we see the exhibition, but also met the Dutch artist Andrew Aue, his wife and a nephew. They agreed to pose for me:

We also had a very interesting conversation which made us have another, closer look at the works on display. I asked about his Indonesian roots and heard in reply that his father never talked to him about his country of origin. However, there is a lot of it in his subconscious. You can clearly see the influence of the Indonesian theatre art in Andrew's works. Even if the artist is not there, you can still listen to a 15-minute audio guide which is a very good idea. The exhibition is on till Monday and the items are for sale; not just paintings or sculptures, but also I phone cases, notebooks and other unique and useful items! I would especially recommend it to theatre and musical lovers, and those interested in mixing various materials in sculpture. The exhibition is titled TheatreArt.  Among shows that provided the inspiration for this exhibition are  the West End productions: Les Misérables, RENT & The Lion King.
Would you like to see it for free with your own eyes?








 Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for this interesting blog, Joanna. It was very nice to meet you and your friend!

    Best wishes,
    Debby & Andrew Aue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debby and Andrew,
      I am so glad you cared to visit my blog. So good to have met you. I wish I had more time to learn and write about your art and your educational projects. In many ways I share your views on teaching, learning and sharing. It is my dream to bring artists like you to my home country so they could explore possible projects with the local artists...
      Kind regards,
      Joanna

      Delete
  2. Hi Joanna,

    Our new TheatreArt exhibition will be at the Chelsea Gallery soon! From 2 - 14 August. We would like to invite you to our private view on the 10th of August, between 6 - 7.30pm. The private view includes a performance of TheatreArt Music :)
    It would be our pleasure to welcome you! There is a new website: www.theatreart.nl
    Kind regards,
    Debby & Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debby and Andrew,
      What a shame! Only now have I seen your kind invitation and it is too late. I missed your exhibition this time. I've abandoned my blog for a while and here is the penance. Please, if you have any link to share, I'd be most keen to look at it. Don't give up on me, please! Warmest regards, Joanna

      Delete