Tuesday 19 August 2014

Bloody experience;-)

This morning started with a horror for the author of this blog. Later (at least up to now) it has been much better: interesting encounters with the local entrepreneurs which I am dying to tell you about. But let me have it off my chest first, OK?

 An apparently simple thing - blood taking - turned into an unpleasant experience. Maybe I needn't have warned the nurse that I was a bit uneasy as it sometimes happens that a nurse cannot find a suitable vein and keeps digging for it and stabbing me again. Gosh! This is exactly what happened. She stabbed my arm once and despite trying hard (I tell you, I mean it), didn't get any blood out of me. Then she tried again and the result was literally only a few drops of the red substance, most likely not enough to do the test. We couldn't try the other arm as it was to be armed with a blood pressure monitoring device. Thus I suggested doing it first and then getting back to blood taking. I put on a brave face, but was not at ease. The 'pumping band' was installed above my elbow and a matching little box put on a strap around my waste while a connecting the two pieces thin  rubber 'snake' was attached to my upper back in order to stay in place. That was easy-peasy. Then we got back to the first task and this time sufficient amount of the precious liquid was extracted from my sore vain. On departing I was instructed to make sure I ask for a 'butterfly' when I come for a blood test! Well, obviously what I said on arrival was not the right code... My suggestion of writing about the butterfly requirement on my file for future reference was also dismissed as I won't be noticed on the next occasion. For your information, 'butterfly' is a thinner needle used when dealing with more delicate or hard to find veins.

Must go now. Back asap, to tell you about the two great men of Northfields!

No comments:

Post a Comment