Wednesday 20 August 2014

Victor's Vintage and Bronek's eagle in Northfields Avenue!

There are a few topics I want to introduce here when time permits. Several times for instance I mentioned my friend's Beni collaborative projects, the recent one being UBU. Here is an article from a Polish site  related to the groundbreaking play from 1896 that has been a worldwide inspiration.
...
It's getting late, but I do want to tell you about my yesterday 'exploration' of Northfield. It's quite a nice area conveniently located on the Piccadilly Line. There are many small individual shops and businesses, a spacious park called Lammas Park and a big Christian centre with a Polish Pentecostal Church located in an unusual Spanish style cinema building from 1932.
When I chained my bike in the main street, I looked around and thought that it would be nice to look around a curious shop with quirky furniture and other objects. So I entered. With my backpack and biker's helmet I hardly could squeeze in the limited space. Fortunately, the owner allowed me to put them down near his desk. Moreover, he didn't object to my picture-taking for the purpose of sharing them with you, Dear Readers. Behold:
 The man is a 'rare species', a Londoner by birth.. He comes from Park Royal, to the north of Northfields where he lives. He has had a shop at this address for many years. Until quite recently he used to sell furniture, and mostly beds, I learnt. Now you can come to look for items that will make your abode different from the ones furnished at Ikea or contemporary shops.

A few things made me smile...

 What an Oscar!
 The Liverpool Boys!
 We chatted for a short while, I was asking about a few things, the open book among them them:
 And then the book landed in my backpack: a good-luck token from the shop owner! It made me very happy!


A piece of a piece of furniture, one could say! And what a piece! Look at it! It is looking at you! Wouldn't it be fun to have it in your room?

You need to find out for yourself if the yellow cab is for sale, Dear Reader:

Same about the plane!
 or the silver car!



I had a good time at Victor John Vintage shop and would like to wish it many satisfied customers!
....

Still having some time to kill and my bike secure, as the sun was shining, I went up Northfields Avenue. Picture here, picture there...

Across the street I saw a row of terraced houses that looked rather similar to the ones in Pitshanger Lane which you could see in my Monday post! However, one of them had a distinguishing feature. At the ornamental top someone attached a Polish national emblem: a white eagle! Quite adequately, there was a Polish grocer's underneath! And now you will be surprised! Not much later I happened to meet Mr Bronek, the patriotic man who installed the eagle above what was then his shop a good few years ago. But I must leave you now, Dear Readers promising to tell you about this fascinating encounter in the near future...
It will be particularly interesting for a friend of mine who has recently watched a program about Billingsgate Market!
 
 





I know many people are keen on car boot sales, you may want to make it to this one:
If you do go, tell me about it, will you?

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment