Monday 18 November 2013

Askew Rd Macedonian espresso and the arts

A few bits and pieces about the past and future events I'd like to remember:



http://www.soas.ac.uk/gallery/everlastingflame/





First I saw The Garden and then The House, it was amazing, and the fete off stage between the two was fun:


...
This card was handed to me by a photographer at work I photographed in Kings Road last week:

....
Grayson Perry is an intriguing figure of the London art scene these days. I saw his works at Victoria Miro Gallery and at The Whitechapel Gallery some time ago, but I truly regret missing his exhibition alongside some objects at The British Museum.

There is another contemporary artist I would like to get to know. His name is Michael Landy and his sculptures are currently on show at The National Gallery. I must dash to see "Saints Alive' before the 24th of November. National Gallery website reads:  He is best known for his 2001 installation, 'Break Down', where he catalogued and then destroyed all of his possessions in a former department store in London.'' 
I wonder if the exhibition will tell me where the artist's intrest in saints comes from. It definitely made me think of a Polish folk sculptor-potter from Odrowąż, a picturesque village between Skarzysko and Konskie in Central Poland. I met Czeslaw Seweryński at a Folk Art Festival in Kazimierz Dolny last June. He has sculpted figures of great many saints, each with a given attribute to identify him or her.
...
This newspaper article is to remind me about the next exhibition at 2 Temple Place:
...
Over a month ago I wrote here about Sunday protests against the political situation in Egypt. The events take place in different places in Central London. People who lost their lives are commemorated with these tags attached to single roses given away to passers-by.


...
Lacock Cup - British Museum is asking for donations so it would be able to buy this unique vessel from a very historic place:
Lacock Cup
...
Now, what am I going to write about this Monday?

It was OK. Meeting different people, as usual. On the bus (607 this time), I sat to a chatty lady who was on the way to work. She has a small

I discovered a new to me hostel with a funny name: Monkeys in the Trees:




I took a picture of St Luke's Church near Shepherds Bush Market :
 ... and of a blue house opposite the church:
The corner pub:
 and a colourful graffiti:

Askew Road Octavia's 'treasures' of the day:







This is already a very historic picture. Next week, I was told, the whole wall will be painted plain white. Pity...


 I don't know why I didn't take a picture of a small but nice Macedonian shop in Askew Rd very near the sunflower graffiti. It is called Vardar, after the largest river in that Balkan country. I had very nice espresso there and a jolly enjoyable chat with the man behind the counter.
...
Empty tables?
The picture below showing empty tables in West Ealing didn't leave a good impression. My first experience there was a positive one, but now I was forced to change my mind. Having carefully examined the menu, I ordered a takeaway chicken shawarma wrap and watched it being prepared while chatting to the familiar Palestinian owner of the place. He was telling me how good he would make it for me and that it will be big, which I didn't really want and so on. The thing really looked big and he told me it must weigh almost a kilo. What do I need such a huge one for? He said if I don't finish it, I can eat it later, no problem. But who would want to eat a takeway sawarma later? Reheat it with all the lettuce and sauce? When it came to payment, I was charged 50 per cent more that the menu indicated and I didn't receive a promised complimentary drink. Well... For me Pharo's is another 'no-go' West Ealing eatery then!

...
Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment