Thursday 7 November 2013

Geese and Chelsea

Hello! Here is my song for the morning: click here for it! And this is the first picture of the day: organic produce from my friend Lu's allotment in Chiswick:
Dear Google provided me with a recording of Lu Pradere's drumming workshop!

Goose meat and goose fat is supposedly the healthiest, I gathered this morning. Hence, Poland promotes eating it on its Independence Day! Why? Well, there is some centuries old literary text referring to Poles having goose meat on festive occasions! However, there is a small problem. Although the country is the biggest producer of goose meat in Europe, 90% of its output is exported which makes buying it a difficult task in the country. Thus there is business opportunity: start a goose farm!

And I'm off to lovely Chelsea to see what's made there.;-)
.....
Back home from today's exploration, having given a miss to a swim and to a social occasion after hours at work. Instead, on my way to the tube station, I saw two art exhibitions. Earlier on, going to work I went in to a gallery in Fulham Road to admire the sculptures. There I had a most fascinating encounter with the artist himself. Then, at King's Road Octavia shop I couldn't resist recommending the sculpting feast to two customers, a future designer and an occasional sculptor! I wonder if they headed for the gallery and if so, whether they liked the sculptures as much as I did! I may never find out....

When I got off the bus in Fulham Road and crossed the street, I couldn't help noticing that the exhibition of colurful circus scenes had been replaced by equally captivating sculptures:

 Ian Edwards agreed to pose for my picture when we were talking. I was truly amazed to learn about his passion for sculpting and the depth of his reflections about life and an evolution of a single human being in their pursuit for fulfillment. Meeting Ian made me think of so many people and places...







...
When going for a quick coffee at lunchtime, I captured a few World's End charity shops items which seemed to celebrate the swine:





 Each of these knick-knacks has its very own history, was made somewhere, by someone, then sold somewhere, bought by someone, usually for someone else, maybe then it was re-gifted;-) and then landed in the charity system, maybe more than once...


But enough of that. Sadly, I had no time to take any pictures at Kings Road Octavia shop today. Besides, it's difficult at that shop, there seems never to be enough light for my telephone camera.

After work, heading for the pool, I simply couldn't resist taking a picture of a man taking a very professional picture:
 I was nicely surprised when he allowed me to publish it on my blog. I learnt that he was taking pictures of the newly open Peruvian Connection shop across the street. Instead, my picture features the double-decker bus. The photographer's name is Angus Leadley Brown and it would be great to see his website when it's not so late.
...
One of many art shop windows in Kings Road:

...
Getting nearer to the pool, I noticed a poster for a painting exhibition at the well known to me venue: Chelsea Old Town Hall in Kings Road. Could I not go? Maybe, but I did enter the building and through the library headed for the lift to the first floor catching a glimpse of busy preparations for the next Chelsea Art Fair further inside. On getting off the lift I immediately targeted my phone-camera at the first two pictures in sight. I still had in mind one of the previous exhibitions. The female artists seemed to be very protective of her output. She banned me from taking pictures thinking that I might be spying on her to use her ideas in my work or something like that...










In the lift I saw this little poster: The London History Festival. We went to one several years ago when we lived a walking distance from Kensington Central Library. I remember attending a debate on who was the greatest of the English kings led by four contemporary history writers. I wonder if my dear friend would be willing to share his memories of the event with us all here...




Red poppies are sold everywhere before Remembrance Sunday. Here you can see a Chelsea pensioner with a box of poppies outside Marks and Spencer:


Peter Jones Department Store put on a glossy Christmassy look:

 The surprise of the evening was this pop-up shop that replaced Basia Zarzycka's boutique which moved next to Peter Jones. What a noble project! Volunteers teach embroidery to prisoners and their works can be purchased at the shop. One third of the money goes to the craftsman- artist inmate.














 Having talked to the shop manageress about the project and taken loads of pictures, I headed for the train home.


No comments:

Post a Comment