Wednesday 6 November 2013

To Barnes today!

It's time to go to Barnes today!
...
I'm back. The weather was appropriate for November: rainy, windy and not very warm.

I got off the train at Barnes Bridge and headed for the Octavia shop in Barnes High Street. I remember the days when as a keen walker, I'd walk along the river from Hammersmith or Chiswick all the way along the river and through the bridge to Barnes. I miss these long hikes...




Facing the river are two houses with the blue plaques:



On the corner there is an art gallery:

Further on you encounter an inviting pub with a large garden:


Sue Ryder Charity Shop has some musical instruments for sale:


The Octavia shop is always filled with interesting items. Behold:


 












This cute pair of dolls was bought by a nice lady who often comes to the shop:
Skull necklace:





The famous Barnes Pond and its birds:



More treasures donated to Octavia:






Ziggy, who came to visit the shop accompanying his owners:

After I had my home prepared lunch, I enjoyed a special visit from a friend who lives not far, just across the Thames. He brought me some lovely apples and vegetables from his allotment. I couldn't believe it. How wonderful of him! It was so good to talk and to listen to his stories about what's going on in Africa where he often goes. Lu makes African instruments called 'gongomas 'using halves of calabashes he brought all the way from The Gambia! His friend who taught him the skill lives in Germany now. It was a most interesting encounter. 
...
The journey back from Barnes was a long one. A walk back to the station and a climb up the steps to the platform (the crutch came in handy) was followed by a long wait as the train had just left and the next one was late. However, I was lucky with Bus 65 at Kew Bridge. The kind driver saw me trying to chase the bus and waited till I made it to the stop. I am most grateful. 
...
Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment