Monday 11 November 2013

Freedom regained and remembering the fallen

Independence Day it is in Poland. Yesterday it was Remembrance Sunday here in England. When I got off the lift at Kings Cross I saw many people standing in silence. It was a two minute silence to commemorate those who died in wars.
...
My pictures from Barnes on this wet and cold day:








The window display of The Parish Bakery in Barnes High Street was photographed from indoors. I discovered they sell fantastic yeast buns with raisins and one kept me going on the long way home! I'm sure everything else there is yummy, but it's the sort of food that can make the clothes get tight if not consumed in moderation... The Polish ladies behind the counter were really kind and friendly!

Today I walked to the station through the little sideways which was really nice.
I could see The Barnes Folly and many other little pleasant sights:


Did I tell you I really like moss, the way it looks and feels when you walk on it?

I wonder if this 'blue bottle tree' was inspired by the one near Sintra, Portugal...

After a long wait for the delayed train at Barnes Bridge, I finally arrived at Kew Bridge. There I had to wait for my bus home watching the construction works slowing down the traffic. I was joined by a chatty schoolgirl on her way from school. It was a long day for her, I learnt. She was put in isolation at 8.50 am for punching a teacher after some disagreement over a seemingly minor issue. The girl was still very excited and agitated. She had this urge to talk and I happened to be there. I didn't look as if she had slightest regrets about her act. The teacher upset her so she punched her, I heard many times. It was her birthday, actually. She was rushing home where the cake and family were waiting.

Who wants to be a teacher???

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment